New groupset of wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
^^^^^ This is a can of worms. Generally to avoid problems if you are running Campag gears use wheels with a Campag compatible freehub, and a Campag compatible cassette, and Shimano/Sram with Shimano/Sram compatible.

I have 7 bikes with mixture of campag and shimano gears. I have 11 wheelsets with mixture of Shimano and Campag cassettes. All 10 speed. I mix and match all the time, and all work perfectly.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
When you change the wheels you will have one good pair and an unsellable pair. Same with the group set and once more with the frame, whereas you could sell the whole bike, although not for much perhaps you should take this into account when thinking budget. Also note that an Ultegra group set + wheels + frame will cost more if bought separately than a complete bike with this spec. would.
I recently bought a bike with $799 (plus tax) group set and $550 (plus tax) wheels for $999. The frame is valued at $750 if sold separately.
A very valid point &

A very good deal you got too.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I have 7 bikes with mixture of campag and shimano gears. I have 11 wheelsets with mixture of Shimano and Campag cassettes. All 10 speed. I mix and match all the time, and all work perfectly.
Good!

Shimano or SRAM gears will shift happily on a Campag cassete as long as they are both 10 speed.
Campag gears will shift happily on a Shimano or SRAM cassette as long as they are both 10 speed.
Campag shifters will NOT work with Shimano or SRAM derailleurs.
Shimano shifters will not work with Campag or SRAM derailleurs.
SRAM shifters will not work with Shimano or Campag derailleurs.

It doesn't matter whether you buy Campag or SRAM/Shimano freehubs, as long as you match them to the appropriate cassette.
Ive never mixed cassettes but its good to know in an emergency I could use a Campy/Shimano wheel/cassette on both my Shimano/Campy bikes (both 10sp). Lol, a pity I didn't know that when my Campy freehub collapsed, I borrowed my brother cyclocross I could have used the Shimano Wheel/Cassette on my bianchi :laugh:

VamP

Banned
Ive never mixed cassettes but its good to know in an emergency I could use a Campy/Shimano wheel/cassette on both my Shimano/Campy bikes (both 10sp). Lol, a pity I didn't know that when my Campy freehub collapsed, I borrowed my brother cyclocross I could have used the Shimano Wheel/Cassette on my bianchi :laugh:

Honestly, not just in an emergency. I cannot detect any adverse impact on shifting performance, and I am quite obsessive about it.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Honestly, not just in an emergency. I cannot detect any adverse impact on shifting performance, and I am quite obsessive about it.

It is all about sprocket pitch isn't it. If we look at the first table here it confirms why "swappable" wheels are all 7 and 8, all 9, all 10 and Shimano 10 and Campag 11, because they differ by no more than 0.2mm a click and if indexing is perfect at a middle sprocket you will be off by no more than 1mm at the extreme.

BUT if your indexing is perfect on the 1st sprocket of a 10 speed you will be out by c1.8mm at the 10th sprocket, which is not going to give you a perfect shift, given the pitch is c4mm.

youngoldbloke

OK but where is the can of worms?
I'm a great believer in 'suck it and see', and if it works at 10 speed that's interesting and useful information (I've read that the spacing on 11 speed cassettes is virtually identical too) - but the worms start wriggling if any of the readers of this thread get the message that Campag and Shimano cassettes are compatible at all speed levels - I don't believe this to be the case, or that Campag cassettes will fit on Shimano freehubs (or vice versa) as seemed to be suggested by an earlier post. I would still advise the OP to buy wheels with a Shimano freehub if he wants to run Ultegra, and to make sure that it is suitable for 11 speed too if he wants to upgrade in the near future.

VamP

Banned
It is all about sprocket pitch isn't it. If we look at the first table here it confirms why "swappable" wheels are all 7 and 8, all 9, all 10 and Shimano 10 and Campag 11, because they differ by no more than 0.2mm a click and if indexing is perfect at a middle sprocket you will be off by no more than 1mm at the extreme.

BUT if your indexing is perfect on the 1st sprocket of a 10 speed you will be out by c1.8mm at the 10th sprocket, which is not going to give you a perfect shift, given the pitch is c4mm.

But we are all taught to set indexing on 4th sprocket right? ;)

VamP

Banned
I'm a great believer in 'suck it and see', and if it works at 10 speed that's interesting and useful information (I've read that the spacing on 11 speed cassettes is virtually identical too) - but the worms start wriggling if any of the readers of this thread get the message that Campag and Shimano cassettes are compatible at all speed levels - I don't believe this to be the case, or that Campag cassettes will fit on Shimano freehubs (or vice versa) as seemed to be suggested by an earlier post. I would still advise the OP to buy wheels with a Shimano freehub if he wants to run Ultegra, and to make sure that it is suitable for 11 speed too if he wants to upgrade in the near future.

Fair do's.

Cyclist33

Where was the bit in bold claimed, pray?

youngoldbloke

Where was the bit in bold claimed, pray?
See my post 55. (Remember that earlier the OP was recommended Prolite wheels with a Campag freehub). Vickster posted "I don't think you have to have campag gearing to use wheels with campag hubs but I could be completely wrong....nope it doesn't matter according to campag...which doesn't surprise me as campag isn't nearly as widely used but most wheels appear to have a campag option". I'm not saying any of this was factually incorrect, but you had to read the advice from Campag carefully to get the correct information.

Top Bottom