New groupset of wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Hundreds of hours reading bike mags v hundreds of hours actually riding them.... ;)
Was reading bike mags for 2 yrs & watching TdF, Giro, Vuelta etc last 5 or 6 yrs & only bought my 1st roadbike just over a year ago.
:thumbsup:

So I have more reading & tinterweb info than actual practical riding knowledge.

We all gotta start somewhere dude.

Before cycling again I had become a bit of a lazy couch potato type after previously being very fit & athletic (ex forces & excellent grade footballer & rugby player).

Gotta say though - I have learned more in 3 months on CC than I was ever likely to without it.

So :thumbsup: all.

VamP

Banned
Hundreds of hours reading bike mags v hundreds of hours actually riding them.... ;)

I was just thinking ''what a terrible waste of hundreds of hours''...

SteCenturion

I am your Father
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fulcrum-racing-quattro-road-wheelset-2014/rp-prod88635

Does that work? It's very weird that I couldn't get that before!

Linking is easy...do you use a Windows PC or laptop? If so, highlight what you want to copy. CTRL+C together; then click where you want to paste and CTRL+V together. IPad etc more faffy but same principle. Select All; Paste
Pretty much doing everything from my Samsung smartphone (S4) during little lulls at work (on a moving bus/but not driving it) hence difficult/typo's etc.
I often post here with lots of errors or incomplete posts & have to edit them through being thrown around on the bus (I have to stand on one for between 7 & 11 hours a day).
Sometimes I end up posting gobbledygook (nearly always if I'm honest).

I have found one or two good tutorials online for hyperlinking (that 'here' thing) some can do so gonna give it a go when time permits.

Cheers for 'the heads up' though.
Don't get to uselaptop @ home much due to 2yr old & Her indoors interface.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fulcrum-racing-quattro-road-wheelset-2014/rp-prod88635

Does that work? It's very weird that I couldn't get that before!

Linking is easy...do you use a Windows PC or laptop? If so, highlight what you want to copy. CTRL+C together; then click where you want to paste and CTRL+V together. IPad etc more faffy but same principle. Select All; Paste

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
for wheels only about 250, at the moment looking at the Chinese carbon wheels but if anyone can recommend a nice set of wheels for around 250 that would be great, i am looking for lightness mainly, i find truing very therapeutic lol so they do not need to be super reliable

I have deep dish clinchers and tubs in a range of depths.. The problem I have is that at the price range you are looking at, you will not get any good carbon clinchers from China, Taiwan, USA, Tesco or any other place wheels imho.
Lightweight can also be accomplished by using low grade or minimal materials and this can be risky. I would also not purchase deep dish carbon wheels at that price point or any price point if I wanted lightness.
I use Zipp 404 and 808 wheels if I require an aero wheel, and a Zipp 202 if I require a lightweight wheel..
Do not for a minute think that Carbon wheels are great for every day use the reality is the braking is far worse in the wet than a normal alloy wheel rim, if they are deep dish and do not feature a profile which has been tested in crosswinds then they can become a bit of a handful..

I will personally only use wheels that have been tested and have safety certifications. A company selling wheels on 'international trading sites' and 'auction sites' can disappear exceptionally fast.
The reality is if the wheel collapse you will likely have dental bills which far exceed the savings of a cheap wheel... The only question is are you willing to take the risk?

Strong
Cheap
Lightweight
....... Pick two

Cyclist33

You can't get lighter than Pro-Lite Braccianos for that price...
Was reading bike mags for 2 yrs & watching TdF, Giro, Vuelta etc last 5 or 6 yrs & only bought my 1st roadbike just over a year ago.

So I have more reading & tinterweb info than actual practical riding knowledge.

We all gotta start somewhere dude.

Before cycling again I had become a bit of a lazy couch potato type after previously being very fit & athletic (ex forces & excellent grade footballer & rugby player).

Gotta say though - I have learned more in 3 months on CC than I was ever likely to without it.

So :thumbsup: all.

As long as you have learnd what NOT to listen to (eg, me) as well as what to take on board, that's important too!

ayceejay

Guru
When you change the wheels you will have one good pair and an unsellable pair. Same with the group set and once more with the frame, whereas you could sell the whole bike, although not for much perhaps you should take this into account when thinking budget. Also note that an Ultegra group set + wheels + frame will cost more if bought separately than a complete bike with this spec. would.
I recently bought a bike with $799 (plus tax) group set and $550 (plus tax) wheels for $999. The frame is valued at $750 if sold separately.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I don't think you have to have campag gearing to use wheels with campag hubs but I could be completely wrong....nope it doesn't matter according to campag...which doesn't surprise me as campag isn't nearly as widely used but most wheels appear to have a campag option

http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/faq/faqcatid_8.jsp#44. Question 5

Yes. Campagnolo wheels are compatible with both Shimano and SRAM components. To use Campagnolo wheels with any drivetrain on the market, Campagnolo produces two types of freewheel body: a specific one for Campagnolo drivetrains (from 9- to 11-speed) and one for non-Campagnolo drivetrains (from 8- to 10-speed).

Now I have no idea whether this is the case with those specific wheels. Wiggle have for shimano for £300 ish

The link to crc was simply for illustration. Bloke can do his own searching for price, colour etc
Surprised no one else has corrected this: Campag wheels are available with EITHER Campag or Shimano freehubs. Most other makes of wheels come with EITHER Campag or Shimano freehubs. Shimano/Sram cassettes will not fit on Campag Freehubs (you can get specials of course - but thats another story), Generally if you are running Sram/Shimano you need wheels with a Shimano freehub.

Cyclist33

I read on here somewhere that whilst you can't fit a Shimano cassette on a Campag freehub, you *can* run a Shimano chain and derailleur on a Campag cassette...

VamP

Banned
Surprised no one else has corrected this: Campag wheels are available with EITHER Campag or Shimano freehubs. Most other makes of wheels come with EITHER Campag or Shimano freehubs. Shimano/Sram cassettes will not fit on Campag Freehubs (you can get specials of course - but thats another story), Generally if you are running Sram/Shimano you need wheels with a Shimano freehub.

Shimano or SRAM gears will shift happily on a Campag cassete as long as they are both 10 speed.
Campag gears will shift happily on a Shimano or SRAM cassette as long as they are both 10 speed.
Campag shifters will NOT work with Shimano or SRAM derailleurs.
Shimano shifters will not work with Campag or SRAM derailleurs.
SRAM shifters will not work with Shimano or Campag derailleurs.

It doesn't matter whether you buy Campag or SRAM/Shimano freehubs, as long as you match them to the appropriate cassette.

Cyclist33

Shimano or SRAM gears will shift happily on a Campag cassete as long as they are both 10 speed.
Campag gears will shift happily on a Shimano or SRAM cassette as long as they are both 10 speed.
Campag shifters will NOT work with Shimano or SRAM derailleurs.
Shimano shifters will not work with Campag or SRAM derailleurs.
SRAM shifters will not work with Shimano or Campag derailleurs.

It doesn't matter whether you buy Campag or SRAM/Shimano freehubs, as long as you match them to the appropriate cassette.

That's what I meant. :thumbsup:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
^^^^^ This is a can of worms. Generally to avoid problems if you are running Campag gears use wheels with a Campag compatible freehub, and a Campag compatible cassette, and Shimano/Sram with Shimano/Sram compatible.

VamP

Banned
I have deep dish clinchers and tubs in a range of depths.. The problem I have is that at the price range you are looking at, you will not get any good carbon clinchers from China, Taiwan, USA, Tesco or any other place wheels imho.
Lightweight can also be accomplished by using low grade or minimal materials and this can be risky. I would also not purchase deep dish carbon wheels at that price point or any price point if I wanted lightness.
I use Zipp 404 and 808 wheels if I require an aero wheel, and a Zipp 202 if I require a lightweight wheel..
Do not for a minute think that Carbon wheels are great for every day use the reality is the braking is far worse in the wet than a normal alloy wheel rim, if they are deep dish and do not feature a profile which has been tested in crosswinds then they can become a bit of a handful..

I will personally only use wheels that have been tested and have safety certifications. A company selling wheels on 'international trading sites' and 'auction sites' can disappear exceptionally fast.
The reality is if the wheel collapse you will likely have dental bills which far exceed the savings of a cheap wheel... The only question is are you willing to take the risk?

Strong
Cheap
Lightweight
....... Pick two

That's panic mongering. Wheels don't just collapse.

I do agree that £250 is a bit low to look at carbon. £350 will get you very good quality. Zipps are very overrated.

Top Bottom