New Helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
I'd like to buy a new helmet - I want a nice fit and for it to be as aerodynamic as possible but I'm not prepared to pay an astronomical amount. I have this helmet (Bell Stratus) already and its the best fit I've ever had in a helmet and it offers great ventilation:

https://www.evanscycles.com/bell-stratus-helmet-EV290993

I'm thinking of buying this helmet:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/giro-foray-helmet/

What do you think? I cycle mostly on roads and canal paths.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jason

vickster

Legendary Member
Go try them on. Don't buy a helmet without trying. Online is a rubbish way unless you know it'll fit or returns are free and easy

If it fits, is comfortable and you like it, that's all that matters

If you know Bell fit, maybe stick with the brand (but still try on). Uvex work for me, Kask might, Giro don't, and CatLike certainly don't. But my head isn't the same as yours so it's irrelevant

The Giro is still a 'budget' helmet compared to many even full price, so it won't be especially light, ventilated or aerodynamic but fine for roads and paths IF IT FITS YOU

Aerodynamic really doesn't matter unless racing imo

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Interesting. Of course, it doesn't mean that those two helmets will fit the same

If I were the OP, I'd get the same helmet but in a different colour. Once you found one that fits, best to stick with it. I've two Uvex ones and nearly got a third in the sale (it sold out while I dithered over it!)

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks everyone for all your replies. I'm looking at this helmet too - a massive reduction in price and maybe worth ordering it in-store. What do you think?

https://www.evanscycles.com/giro-synthe-helmet-EV225134
It’ll be lighter than the other. A helmet is never a bargain if it doesn’t fit!!
If you like it, order it, try it or return it. V easy with Evans if you can live with a few days deficit on your credit card as you pay when ordering not collecting

That said I think £90 for a helmet is an astronomical amount unless racing. However big the alleged discount from RRP

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
It’ll be lighter than the other. A helmet is never a bargain if it doesn’t fit!!
If you like it, order it, try it or return it. V easy with Evans if you can live with a few days deficit on your credit card as you pay when ordering not collecting

Very true. I can have it delivered to the store and, if it doesn't fit or I don't like it for any other reason, I can get a refund.

J

Sharky

Guru
Only a few days ago, I was out with the club, talking about helmets and my club mate said he was going to get a new one and looking at mine he said "like yours". He went on and told me I had one with "MIPS" - I hadn't realised. Have since investigated and MIPS gives you "MIPS technology that allows the liner to rotate independently around your head". So absorbing rotational forces better in the event of a crash. It doesn't look or feel any different from my previous helmets, but as the last four have all been written off when I have had off's, I'm rather have the system than not.

vickster

Legendary Member
Helmet being written off in an off is a good reason not to spend a fortune if you’ll baulk at the replacement value

If it’s an accident that’s not your fault, don’t expect the third party insurer to cough up the full replacement value even if it’s almost new :angry::angry::angry:

I think the jury is out on whether MIPS is the best thing since sliced bread.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have a Giro Foray with MIPS - it was cheap and it fitted, most importantly it allowed me to satisfy a silly rule about compulsion for some events. I decided that if i were to get a plastic hat I may as well try and get one with MIPS that would cause the least damage if I actually hit my head. I would not say it was particularly aero though.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have a Giro Foray with MIPS - it was cheap and it fitted, most importantly it allowed me to satisfy a silly rule about compulsion for some events. I decided that if i were to get a plastic hat I may as well try and get one with MIPS that would cause the least damage if I actually hit my head. I would not say it was particularly aero though.
The OPs Foray link doesn't mention MIPS. I'd expect them to be all over it

Top Bottom