New Highway Code

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I suppose, the only good thing is it's all over the press about the 'changes'. My wife is ranting about it, as it's actually common sense and she does this already, which 'most' drivers do.

The infographic is misleading in a number of respects. It doesn't appear to have originated from any official source.
Are we all talking about this one:
1643107594625.png

(I can't see Twitter from this machine!)

If so, I agree, it is rather misleading on 1 & 2.

I do wish everyone jumping up-and-down about those 2 rules would actually read the ACTUAL HC, but it's hardly surprising when they don't :-/

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Correct.

"As posted" where?
In the post by numbnuts that I quoted!

Your comment was that "the comic seems to have got that one wrong". What do you mean by "the comic" here?
Cycling Weekly. I've been told it ran an article saying the new code says we must ride in the middle if the road and pull over whenever motorists want to overtake.

Without more context, I thought it was the infographic you were talking of.
I literally gave the context, as a quote. It was not the infographic.

Alex321

Veteran
Are we all talking about this one:

(I can't see Twitter from this machine!)

If so, I agree, it is rather misleading on 1 & 2.

I do wish everyone jumping up-and-down about those 2 rules would actually read the ACTUAL HC, but it's hardly surprising when they don't :-/
On 2 it is very misleading, because it absolutely doesn't say you "should" do that. The actual wording is "You can ride two abreast and it can be safer to do so, particularly in larger groups or when accompanying children or less experienced riders".

On 1, I think it is only slightly misleading, because that does appear to be the "general" advice, with it saying there are 2 basic positions you should adopt, and that being the first one.

But there are numerous stories in the press which are just ridiculous - suggesting that the changes to the HC mean there are additional things for which you could be fined, for instance. The changes make no difference to the law, so no difference to what you can be fined for. They mainly just clarify existing guidance, and add a few new bits.
One example headline from the Sun says
"DID YOU KNOW?
Highway Code rule changes LIVE – New 2022 rules about roundabouts, junctions & car doors could land you huge £1k fine"

Or from the London Evening Standard:
"A new rule will see drivers fined £1,000 if they open the door with the wrong hand, as the Highway Code is updated."

And unfortunately, it isn't actually all that easy to read the ACTUAL changes until they are finally incorporated in the current HC.
There is a pdf of the changes here, but that takes a bit of searching out, and quite often fails at the first attempt to load.

Alex321

Veteran
In the post by numbnuts that I quoted!

Cycling Weekly. I've been told it ran an article saying the new code says we must ride in the middle if the road and pull over whenever motorists want to overtake.

I literally gave the context, as a quote. It was not the infographic.
Fair enough. I didn't realise you were referring to numbnuts as "the comic".

presta

Guru
In Cyclecraft, Franklin defines Primary Position as the centre of the vehicle track, not the centre of the lane.
Like this:
1643112048637.jpeg

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
The changes to the code are going to be discussed on the Jeremy Vine show today.

I think the new changes could lead to more traffic congestion and hold ups .
If every road user has to give way to every person at a side road waiting to cross , imagine the tail backs caused by streams of children on their way to school . Not all roads are 2 lanes which allow vehicles driving straight on to pass and will have to wait behind . Not every vehicle will be turning off at every junction but this will add to delays , this rule also applies to cyclists . I know some cyclists don't stop for red lights so pedestrians could just walk out on side roads assuming they have right of way straight into the path of such a rider .
Are roundabouts going to be treated like side roads ?

Solocle

Über Member
Afraid when I'm out walking and crossing the road at junctions I will definitely still be waiting for the cars to go first. I just wouldn't trust the drivers to give way anyway apart from the very occasional one who might if they have read the new code and want to comply. I think they will be few and far between.

Nothing has substantially changed from the existing highway code there.
1643188894074.png

The main difference is that traffic from the side road now should give way to you.

The change of "should give way to waiting pedestrians" is keeping it in line with zebra crossings. Frankly just common sense - if a pedestrian has priority as soon as they set foot on the road, then you need to give way, because if they do step out a crash will be your fault. All that element of the change does is spell that out for the hard of thinking.
1643189089344.png

1643189163825.png

Last edited:
I think the new changes could lead to more traffic congestion and hold ups .
If every road user has to give way to every person at a side road waiting to cross , imagine the tail backs caused by streams of children on their way to school .
Is this satire?
Are you complaining that children will be able to safely walk to school, but this will delay a few drivers?

Top Bottom