New Highway Code

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There was a new article on the BBC at lunch time

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Going to be a bit on the news shortly.
Fairly short, a bit bland, so-so.

Cyclists should ride two abreast? Where did that come from?
Remember, this is directed at drivers, and it's only the best I've seen yet, not perfection.

Probably it's to reinforce the new first paragraph of rule 213, which includes: "It can be safer for groups of cyclists to ride two abreast in these situations. Allow them to do so for their own safety"

The rule for cyclists, rule 66, will only say about it that "You can ride two abreast and it can be safer to do so".

Well I'm not going to ride in the middle of the road, not unless I'm turning right
New rule 72 only tells you to ride in the middle of your lane, not the middle of the road. I see the comic seems to have got that one wrong.

sheddy

Legendary Member

Reactions: mjr

Alex321

Veteran
New rule 72 only tells you to ride in the middle of your lane, not the middle of the road. I see the comic seems to have got that one wrong.
No, that is what it said above. Unless you are talking about something other than the infographic at post #59.

In the Liverpool Echo today apparently people were "outraged" by an article on Good Morning Britain

Apparently a cyclist was shown cycling along a road
People's 'outrage' was because there was a cycle path available

but the article seems to miss out the bit where the HC says - specifically - that cyclists do not HAVE to use a cycle path

typical mis-information from the press about these changes

Seems a very sensible column. I'm sure fellow CycleChatters will join me in praising the closing line:

But there is nothing unreasonable about the changes to the Highway Code, which are merely a small rebalancing in the relationship between motorists, cyclists and pedestrians — and an example of how Conservative governments can and should promote civilised values.

Top Bottom