New Highway Code

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Nothing has substantially changed from the existing highway code there.
View attachment 628212
The main difference is that traffic from the side road now should give way to you.

The change of "should give way to waiting pedestrians" is keeping it in line with zebra crossings. Frankly just common sense - if a pedestrian has priority as soon as they set foot on the road, then you need to give way, because if they do step out a crash will be your fault. All that element of the change does is spell that out for the hard of thinking.
I don't agree that this hasn't made a substantial change. It is a major change.

Previously, you were only expected to give way to pedestrians already on the carriageway. Now you should give way to anybody waiting to cross.

It may be "in line with zebra crossings", but it wasn't before.

I have no idea why you believe (with the old rules) "if a pedestrian has priority as soon as they set foot on the road, then you need to give way, because if they do step out a crash will be your fault. ". That was simply not true. If a pedestrian steps out in front of you when you are too close to avoid them, then it is NOT currently your fault (unless the reason you were too close to avoid them was you were travelling too fast of course).

Is this satire?
Are you complaining that children will be able to safely walk to school, but this will delay a few drivers?
I am just being realistic!
Have you ever seen them crossing at controlled lights ? Even after the lights have changed they will still cross.
They will assume that they have priority and just blindly walk across any side road .

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Have you ever seen them crossing at controlled lights ? Even after the lights have changed they will still cross.
They will assume that they have priority and just blindly walk across any side road .
That is the situation we need to reach. The pavement virtually extending across any junction (actually extending would be even better).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
And tell us, do you think it's more achievable to get tested, licensed adults to give way or all schoolchildren?

And is it fairer to put the burden of care on the probable injured party or the probable injurer?

And if there were enough walkers to cause congestion of motor traffic, weren't all the walkers waiting to cross already serious congestion of foot traffic? So isn't this measure going to lead to reduced congestion and fewer people waiting, even if more motorisrs wait? Is there some good reason to ignore congestion of foot traffic?

In most places, this will make no difference because few are walking (walking alongside busy roads is avoided by most people who have any reasonable alternative) or there are already "WAIT" signs at a crossing with pro-motorist timing. The other crossings should have been provided sooner, or alternative routes provided by an "disentangling of networks".

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That is the situation we need to reach. The pavement virtually extending across any junction (actually extending would be even better).
And much fairer to wheelchair, mobility scooter, walking stick, tricycle and handcycle users who currently usually have to deal with two oblique 5mm ish steps at every side road. Not much to thee or me, but an easy skid, trip or flip if you fluff it or the step is oversize.

I can't believe that's legal under Equalities Act, but government and developers keep building them. Pavement continuity now!

Solocle

Über Member
I don't agree that this hasn't made a substantial change. It is a major change.

Previously, you were only expected to give way to pedestrians already on the carriageway. Now you should give way to anybody waiting to cross.

It may be "in line with zebra crossings", but it wasn't before.

I have no idea why you believe (with the old rules) "if a pedestrian has priority as soon as they set foot on the road, then you need to give way, because if they do step out a crash will be your fault. ". That was simply not true. If a pedestrian steps out in front of you when you are too close to avoid them, then it is NOT currently your fault (unless the reason you were too close to avoid them was you were travelling too fast of course).
Before, it was exactly the same as zebra crossings. Motorists currently don't need to give way to pedestrians waiting at a zebra crossing - only once a pedestrian sets foot on the crossing do they have priority. But that priority is absolute. If a pedestrian steps out onto a zebra crossing when a motorist is too close to avoid them... well, the motorist should have been prepared to stop.

After, the change... it's still exactly the same as zebra crossings.

The only difference is the general lack of observation of rule 170, which is in the meta, not in the rules.

presta

Guru
There are quite a few motorists starting to appear on Twitter saying they're going to ignore the new rules.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
There are always a few motorist idiots

73F6FC84-B183-419E-9BC1-8060776E1AE7.jpeg

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Out of interest (and a desire to buy a copy, daughter no 4 is about to begin driving lessons), has anyone managed to actually acquire a copy of the new version of the Highway Code?, if yes, where from?

I think the new changes could lead to more traffic congestion and hold ups .
If every road user has to give way to every person at a side road waiting to cross , imagine the tail backs caused by streams of children on their way to school . Not all roads are 2 lanes which allow vehicles driving straight on to pass and will have to wait behind . Not every vehicle will be turning off at every junction but this will add to delays , this rule also applies to cyclists . I know some cyclists don't stop for red lights so pedestrians could just walk out on side roads assuming they have right of way straight into the path of such a rider .
Are roundabouts going to be treated like side roads ?
You do have a point that sadly I did not realise. Yes, there will be traffic stoppage in certain places. It will be interesting how this pans out.

I am trying to find if other countries have same or similar regulations. Or are we the first.

Anyway, I will patiently wait and not try my luck. Remember in the words of the XXX and in reverse, you only have to be unlucky once.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Top Bottom