New LBS in Hull

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taxing

A new bike shop has just opened on Princes Ave in Hull, it's right near my house and today I noticed that my back tyre was flat (still haven't bought a pump and I've had the bike for two months :blush:), so I thought I'd go have a gander and buy a pump. The bloke was dead nice, they don't have any pumps in yet because they're only been open for a week so he just did it for me with the shop track pump.

I'm going to hold out on buying a pump until he gets some in stock because I like the shop (it's painted turquoise and always has a few nice bikes outside), and I'd like it to stay open. I know there are a few people on here who are from Hull, so I'd recommend checking the shop out in a couple of weeks when he has more stock if you're in the area. Even if you don't want anything at the moment, the second hand bikes he has are interesting to look at, and he's a nice bloke, we had a chat about the C2W scheme and pannier bags. From what I saw he seems to know bikes too, he quickly spotted that my back tyre had been put on the wrong way round, when the shop that I bought it from has had it in a few times and either hasn't noticed or hasn't been arsed to correct the initial mistake they made when they built it up. And he pointed out a bolty thing that's facing the wrong way, and when I looked at the catalogue pictures of my bike online he's right. So I'd trust him over the shop I got my bike from. (Jobes Cycles, who aren't very friendly.) It's a nice addition to the row of shops, anyway.

(Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with the shop in any way, but he did say that he liked my ring.)

OP
OP
T

taxing

Er... I forgot to mention that it's called East Coast Cycles.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Er... I forgot to mention that it's called East Coast Cycles.

I'll check it out next time I need something. Just been to Cliff Pratts & Freetown today for some bar grips & a bottle cage & I think I may have seen you on my travels, saw a lady with a track pump in a wicker basket on the front of a bike, can't remember exactly where, but prob around Tescos/Spring Bank after 10am?

OP
OP
T

taxing

Not me I'm afraid, I don't have a pump and I was in bed until half 10. :smile: If you're round here often you might spot me riding around that area though, I've got a white step through with a wicker basket. If it's got a yellow flower on the front of the basket (like in my avatar) then you'll know it was me.

Maz

Guru
I'm going back to my old stamping ground soon, so I will check it out. Is it up near Pearson Park or at the bottom end/Spring Bnk?

OP
OP
T

taxing

Spring Bank end, opposite Zoological. You won't miss it, it's bright turquoise.

Maz

Guru
Thanks. I went back to Hull for a day visit a few years back. Town centre had changed where the Paragon bus Stn used to be, replaced with that shopping centre and the biggest Tesco I have ever seen. Newland Av had gone all 'trendy'ish with coffee shops, bistros and the like. Oh, and all the Jacko's supermarkets had gone!

OP
OP
T

taxing

Yeah, the bus station is joined on to the train station now. I'm in a bit of a mood with that shopping centre, last week I checked the doors for signs saying no cycles but the only sign they had was the one with the picture of the bike with a red circle around it, which I took to mean no cycling but you can push your bike through (it's a big cut through). Apparently not, three security guards descended on me as if I was bombing through on my bike mowing down old ladies. They were right knobs about it. Newland Ave and Princes Ave are both trendy now, and Jacko's is now Sainsbury's! It's not the same at all. You might see some big toad sculpture things while you're here, there are a couple on Princes Ave and loads in town. It's to do with the 25th anniversary of Philip Larkin's death. I quite like them.

Maz

Guru
I didn't know that...I'll look out for the toads!

OP
OP
T

taxing

I've been making it a bit of a mission to take a picture of all of them with my bike, this one is my favourite but it's tucked away at the Morrison's on Holderness Road so you probably won't see it:

DSCF0562.JPG

They're all the same shape, they just have different things painted on them, so they're dead easy to spot. There's one at the entrance to the Zoological car park.

Shaun

Founder
I drove out to Beverley with little Ms. Admin because her school had done the design for the one opposite the Leisure Centre (where the old Air Museum used to be).

We spent 15 mins look all around it for the names of her schoolmates.

The BEST one - IMHO - is the Punkphibian one on Ferensway outside the new Hull Truck ... brilliant ... :biggrin:

OP
OP
T

taxing

I'll be passing that one in about an hour, I'm just about to bike to my boyfriend's house in Beverley. :smile:

called in yesterday, apparently he'd been expecting me. he'd seen my xtra-cycle around and figured i'd be the sort of cyclist to visit his shop ;)
didn't have much chance to chat about his future plans for the shop, so i'm unsure of the type of things he'll be stocking.
i'd like it to be somewhere to buy quality, unusual and practical bikes/bits. it would be great to have a local shop that stocked stuff from nitto, honjo, velo orange and giles berthoud instead of having to hunt such good stuff down on the internet. i reckon if it was like velovision magazine in the form of a shop, that'd do me :thumbsup: i'll certainly be popping back.

cheers,

velocidad.

Top Bottom