New LBS in Hull

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ah....

I WONDERED why there was a big blinking frog looking at me when I drove up Hawthorne Avenue after the Watford game...usually get the train so hadn't seen or taken any notice of any strange amphibians around before until I was stopped next to that one waiting for the level crossing.

Find out allsorts on this forum...

called in yesterday, apparently he'd been expecting me. he'd seen my xtra-cycle around and figured i'd be the sort of cyclist to visit his shop ;)
didn't have much chance to chat about his future plans for the shop, so i'm unsure of the type of things he'll be stocking.
i'd like it to be somewhere to buy quality, unusual and practical bikes/bits. it would be great to have a local shop that stocked stuff from nitto, honjo, velo orange and giles berthoud instead of having to hunt such good stuff down on the internet. i reckon if it was like velovision magazine in the form of a shop, that'd do me :thumbsup: i'll certainly be popping back.

cheers,

velocidad.

You ever in East Hull - Southcoates area? It's just I've seen either an xtracycle conversion or big dummy a couple of times. Was on foot at the time so didn't get a good look

Shaun

Founder
Noticed a nice black (with silver chain) fixie in the window last night with lime green tyre sidewalls ... but that was about all I had time for before I was past it an on my way ... :biggrin:

ChrisKH

Guru
Thanks. I went back to Hull for a day visit a few years back. Town centre had changed where the Paragon bus Stn used to be, replaced with that shopping centre and the biggest Tesco I have ever seen. Newland Av had gone all 'trendy'ish with coffee shops, bistros and the like. Oh, and all the Jacko's supermarkets had gone!

One of my lingering memories of Hull was a night out at Spider's Nightclub. Went on the dance floor for a little boogie, came back and someone had drunk my pint.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Spiders now that was a fun club! Leave your drink for the 'minesweepers' at your own peril (pink puglsey, brown bombers, tarantulas... far too many falling down 'cocktails' to cope with) :blush:

Discovered my younsters (plus friend) had found the toads, when I was checking the camera last night, good job it was a tiger :biggrin:

100_4584.jpg

Shaun

Founder
Billy, Terry and the other usual moaners, stick to your armchairs, with your string vest and your stained tracky bottoms, drinking Kestrel, believing that someone else owes you an existence.Le Grimpeur, TourmaletReport abusecommented on 21-Aug-2010 12:16

He he he ...... go Craig :thumbsup:

mangaman

Thanks. I went back to Hull for a day visit a few years back. Town centre had changed where the Paragon bus Stn used to be, replaced with that shopping centre and the biggest Tesco I have ever seen. Newland Av had gone all 'trendy'ish with coffee shops, bistros and the like. Oh, and all the Jacko's supermarkets had gone!

Ahh..

I lived on Princes Ave from 1991 -95 opposite Pearson Park

It was amazing. It was full of weird independent shops and the whole area had a weird brilliance about it - I loved the roads towards Chants. Ave. that had the fountains in the middle of them.

I'm sure an LBS there would be good.

I don't like the sound of the yuppification of Newlands Av :ohmy:

You'll be telling me there are several Michelin starred restaurants opened in Bransholme next!

Is the Polar Bear still there? - I had a soft spot for it for some reason.

mangaman

Bloody hell...that's terrible! It must have cost you 25p to get another one in there! :laugh:

I don't know if "The Tower" is still going - I think it was on Anlaby Rd.

It was always on our way home and I got dragged in. The Hull catchphrase was "The Tower for an hour and (then there were a lot of rude and sexist endings that I couldn't possibly repeat)

The nightmare was I was always tempted - and it was really a sh*thole by anyone's standards. Happy memories :smile:

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Is this your comment, Craig? :smile:

Billy, Terry and the other usual moaners, stick to your armchairs, with your string vest and your stained tracky bottoms, drinking Kestrel, believing that someone else owes you an existence.Le Grimpeur, TourmaletReport abusecommented on 21-Aug-2010 12:16

No sadly not this 'grimpeur'! ( & those that know the area I live in, the term 'grimpeur' is very tongue in cheek) though a good post in HDM regardless from the other Grimpeur

The path of this thread does mutate as it goes along...

I quite like the changes to princes ave etc (I used to live in the area too) , more places to drink & eat is surely a good thing?

Top Bottom