New mitts please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

My old Altura Progel mitts are now snotty oil stained rags... albeit well designed snotty oil stained rags. The pads are flattened and sad like an 80 year old... no, let's just say they're past their best.

Anybody got any 'f*ck me, these are good' recommendations for new mitts? I fancy treating myself.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Specialized BG Comp.

Absolutely superb mitts.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Interesting. I have some Spec BG mitts too... they're falling apart at the seams! Perhaps they are not the 'Comp' model!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
yello said:
Interesting. I have some Spec BG mitts too... they're falling apart at the seams! Perhaps they are not the 'Comp' model!
I'm surprised by that, I have two pairs, both have lasted me more than a year to date with no sign of impending falling apart.

You could go all goth and get some of the Knog LOVE/HATE mitts...

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
yello said:

Yeah I have had that problem and returned the 1st pair for a replacement and the 2nd pair started to do it 4 months later. However a quick repair with the sewing kit and all is well. Still the most comfy glove I have found to date.

OP
OP
Y

yello

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
However a quick repair with the sewing kit and all is well..

That's what I keep meaning to do with mine, quite a bit of repair required though. Maybe I'll give them a second chance.

ACS

Legendary Member
I recently investested in a pair of Altura Gel type Mitt (Asymetrix IIRC) on the advice of my LBS. Used them 6 times and gave them away, just not comfortable. Now on Spec BG Comp. Lovely

4F

yello said:
That's what I keep meaning to do with mine, quite a bit of repair required though. Maybe I'll give them a second chance.

Mine went on the same place on each mit near the base of the thumb, is this the same as yours ?

OP
OP
Y

yello

Yep, base of the thumb (where it meets the cuff) on both mitts, plus top of the thumb on one and mid thumb seam on the other. It's the 'snot wipe' material I reckon. The stitching just pulls through it. Pretty poor imo.

4F

yello said:
Yep, base of the thumb (where it meets the cuff) on both mitts,

Yep thats the same place as mine have gone on both pairs Obviously they have an issue here

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Yep thats the same place as mine have gone on both pairs Obviously they have atishoo! here

:laugh:

Just had a look at my Specialized gloves BG Comp/Pro Gel etc - the thinner red/black ones and the big fat black/grey ones. The only damage is to one of the 'BG' plasticky logos on the red pair when I put them in the microwave at work to dry them out after heavy rain. :biggrin:

They are super gloves - much better than a pair of 'Roeckl' - I think - gloves purchased at great expense from St Chinian a few years ago (well, you know what it's like - support your local bike shop etc) :blush:

gavintc

Guru
I have been impressed by all my Spec BG kit from shoes, through saddle to track mitts. So, I would recommend the BG mitts.

Top Bottom