New MTB needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
My trusty old Dawes is going to be passed on to a needy youngster so I'm going to need a new one.
I'm 5'7" and probably shrinking.
Is any wheel size suitable or would a smaller one be better?
Up to a £1000 for a hardtail, I'm thinking. Any advice or recommendations?

They're all going to be quite different to your old Dawes now Rich. The established wheel sizes these days are 27.5, 29 and 27.5/29 plus. XC bikes are likely to be 27.5 but the geometry will be entirely different to the Dawes. Higher wider bars, slacker angles, better suspension, stiffer axles, 1x drivetrains, clutch mechs, hydraulic brakes, it'll be like coming from a Morgan to a Ferrari. Also, you'll get an 'All Mountain' full susser for that money and it won't be a bag of shyte either.

Presumably this is just for off road, South Downs type stuff?

Venod

Eh up
XC bikes are likely to be 27.5

I agree he is going to find modern MTB's a big improvement over his old Dawes, but I thought the best XC bikes were 29's. I realise they are available with 27.5 wheels, don't know if you can buy a new 26 inch wheel anymore, but a lot of people still prefer the smaller wheels for ease of handling and less weight.

I think the OP should try a few with different sized wheels and see what he prefers.

https://www.bike-components.de/blog/en/2017/04/29er-a-must-have-for-every-xc-trail-rider/

I agree he is going to find modern MTB's a big improvement over his old Dawes, but I thought the best XC bikes were 29's. I realise they are available with 27.5 wheels, don't know if you can buy a new 26 inch wheel anymore, but a lot of people still prefer the smaller wheels for ease of handling and less weight.

I think the OP should try a few with different sized wheels and see what he prefers.

https://www.bike-components.de/blog/en/2017/04/29er-a-must-have-for-every-xc-trail-rider/
Yes you're right, my mistake. Pure XC is the domain of 29er's now, long and relatively low.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
They're all going to be quite different to your old Dawes now Rich. The established wheel sizes these days are 27.5, 29 and 27.5/29 plus. XC bikes are likely to be 27.5 but the geometry will be entirely different to the Dawes. Higher wider bars, slacker angles, better suspension, stiffer axles, 1x drivetrains, clutch mechs, hydraulic brakes, it'll be like coming from a Morgan to a Ferrari. Also, you'll get an 'All Mountain' full susser for that money and it won't be a bag of shyte either.

Presumably this is just for off road, South Downs type stuff?
Yes, I'm not intending to do anything dangerous or too technical.
I've sat on a 29er and it felt like I was getting vertigo.
I'll try a few types in the local shops next week. We've got some good independents and Evans and Halfords.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Wheel size is, in theory, irrelevant to fit because it has no bearing on the relationship between the three points of contact - saddle, pedals, handlebars.

Put another way, that's why Bromptons work for people of all sizes.

However, the experience of my local bike shop is that shorter people generally find 29er mountain bikes 'too big'.

Mountain bike tyres are deeper section than they used to be, which adds to the impression of height.

Yes, I'm not intending to do anything dangerous or too technical.
I'll try a few types in the local shops next week. We've got some good independents and Evans and Halfords.
Maybe but a lot of them may feel quite strange compared to the Dawes. The feeling should be more of sitting 'in', than on. I shall have a peruse and come up with some suggestions.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I'm going to be following this thread with interest; the last mtb I bought new was a 2011 Giant Trance (which I love) that is a 26er. Even back in 2011, the 26 was on its way out and I got a great deal on the bike which sealed the deal. As someone who isn't technically skilled nor racing, it was (and is) fine for me, and is still more than a bike than I am capable of. The geometry is slacker than I was used to from bikes back in the 90's, and the handlebars not as wide as they are now, and it does have a triple crank.

However, my ht is a 1996 Mongoose (back when they made decent frames) Rockadile that I've upgraded and upgraded, and I know it's had its last upgrade as decent 26 straight steerer forks are now getting to be relatively rare. And I'm assuming the next ht I'll be buying will be a more slack geometry, wider bars, 1x drive, thru axles, etc... (though I swapped over to hydraulic brakes a time ago now). And in a sort of way I'm looking forward to it as I see all of those things as incremental improvements that Crackle mentioned.

Rich P, hopefully you will post your impressions when you get your new ride and the differences you notice. I will definitely be interested!

Bit of a side note here: I've been riding off road since around 1991, and still ride some of the same places I used to ride. I remember the 90's versions of mtbs with no front suspension or really poor front suspension, more road like geometry, bad rim brakes, low and long stems, and narrow handlebars. I certainly recall some obstacles I used to find much more challenging than I do now as I just seem to float over them with no trouble at all, and feeling comfortable doing so (and this is with a 2011 bike!). While you can certainly argue that making things easier can remove the fun, I just think it means it gives you more confidence in tackling stuff you wouldn't have done back in 1991. I'm looking forward to trying the next iteration!

Top Bottom