New MTB needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I can definitely see huge value in those 90's bikes. And let's face it, people did still mountain bike even when (gasp!) they didn't have suspension and they did have fun. If you hit things right you can find an absolute bargain, and smiles per mile and cost per mile can be unbeatable.

But.... I'll be honest. Given a choice between a reasonably specced modern mountain bike and even an absolute top of the line 90's bike, I know I'd want to ride the modern bike, every day of the week. Perhaps it's to do with me getting older and not wanting my fillings shaken or my back getting jostled :smile:

Give me a nineties rigid any day. Great to ride and cheap as chips.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Those voodoo bizangos do seem to get rave reviews everywhere, if you're looking for a 29er rather than 27.5

The above came a very close second to the Cube Acid I have. At the same me, Cube were offering high specs for incredible value. I got it in a sale too so the only disadvantage now is that I have no reason to sell it on, because it wouldn’t be cost effective however I looked at it. Very comfy.

Levo-Lon

Guru
The above came a very close second to the Cube Acid I have. At the same me, Cube were offering high specs for incredible value. I got it in a sale too so the only disadvantage now is that I have no reason to sell it on, because it wouldn’t be cost effective however I looked at it. Very comfy.

I nearly got one but the Marin deal was too good to miss even tho my budget got beat to death :laugh:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Hi Rich. Late to the party as always, but as one old(ish) guy to another oldie, I suggest you think VERY carefully before getting a 1x set-up. IMO and based on just the small amounts of tinkering I have done on my son's new 1x11 rig I think you will miss the versatility of more than one chainring for all activities.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
But.... but.... but..... isn't that why you have a separate bike for each different activity? :smile:

Hi Rich. Late to the party as always, but as one old(ish) guy to another oldie, I suggest you think VERY carefully before getting a 1x set-up. IMO and based on just the small amounts of tinkering I have done on my son's new 1x11 rig I think you will miss the versatility of more than one chainring for all activities.

The trouble is avoiding one these days, unless he builds his own.

I'm struggling to come up with some ideas for you. The reason being is most manufacturers have moved towards trail setups now. It's hard to avoid long travel suspension and slack angles etc... I know you didn't like it but I'd look again at 29ers for an XC bike. They don't all do sizes appropriate for us shorter riders but they do exist. If you were closer you could borrow mine. Anyway, in the absence of an actual concrete recommendation, here's a load of reading you could probably have found yourself........

https://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/article/best-mountain-bikes-under-1000-45346/
https://magazine.bikesoup.com/the-best-hardtail-mountain-bikes-for-under-pound1000
https://www.rutlandcycling.com/cont...ikes-under-163-1000-our-picks-for-my2018.aspx

Top Bottom