New MTB needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Why wait, just purchase the one that takes your fancy right now......
I take your point! I know little about mtb's compared with road bikes and I found it difficult to see a massive difference between £400 and £800 bikes. Maybe you get what you pay for? They were also too busy for me to have the patience to hang around for long enough to speak to any staff.
I needed to hurry off to get a new mankini.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I found it difficult to see a massive difference between £400 and £800 bikes.
Be careful!

My BIL bought a mountain bike a year or two ago and asked my advice. I obviously steered him towards a GT as I know and trust the brand andas there was two of the bikes I was suggesting already in my household I knew they were half decent. He went into Evans and bought a Norco for about £50 less than I was suggesting.
I just serviced it today and it is like a TANK! Honestly, it makes me think BSO when I rode it and it is ridiculously heavy. I can't remember what the price was but it would have been about the £400+ mark and it makes my wife's GT feel like a Pinarello in comparison. Wife's GT Avalanche Elite was £580 well spent pounds and I would almost guarantee you would have fun on it.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I took photos of 2 Norcos so thanks for the heads up.
I also looked at a Cube Attention SL and a Scott Scale 770

15/16 sounds about right to me. The difference in the prices above will probably be down to forks, mostly. As aminimum, try to get air forks, not Suntour, although their Raidon are ok. Rockshox xc30 and 28 are ok but not air forks, a little heavy and a bit boingy, so go for air and pay the extra.

Oh and I've ridden a Cube Attention in the past. Decent bike but my overriding memory of it was it was quite short in the top tube, even for me, so I didn't like it.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hello

Am watching this it’s interest as I am in a similar position... got it down to a shortlist of 2 or 3.

I rode a Marin bobcat trail 4 or 5 with a single chainring at a trail centre this week and am not sure about the 1x setup either . This MTB lark is like an alien world I must say. Confusing set of options available but pleased this has pointed me in some kind of direction to research. Well done all and Rich good luck with whatever you decide upon!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Have you sobered up yet Rich?
Been super close to pulling the trigger a couple of times yesterday...
Love the look of the Marin Nail Trail 6 but think I want a 2x chainring. Diamondback Lumis might be a dark horse or a Cube Acid/LTD, arrrgh too many choices!

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Have you sobered up yet Rich?
Been super close to pulling the trigger a couple of times yesterday...
Love the look of the Marin Nail Trail 6 but think I want a 2x chainring. Diamondback Lumis might be a dark horse or a Cube Acid/LTD, arrrgh too many choices!
Not yet Ducky. I need to have a look at some more but Crax slightly put me off the Cubes, possibly unjustifiably!
That Lumis looks a possibilty. Too much choice.
I've decided on a 2x and 27.5" wheels.

Top Bottom