New Project. Raleigh Scorpio.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
I really like this project, looking good :okay:

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Spent another 45 minutes in the garage today, fitted the rear derailleur, brake levers, friction shifters, BB cable guide and generally fettling with a wire brush to clean up some metal. Also discovered a little square piece of metal that I couldn’t remember what is was from, then I realised it was part of the cable clamp on the derailleur.

Just tyres on wheels and fit, cables, bar tape and saddle to go I think.

Gunk

Guru
I lost exactly the same plastic part from my rear mech, took me about an hour to work out where it came from.

Your drivetrain is the same as mine, they’re easy to set up and the right hand lever has a neat indexing function

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
It’s starting to look like a bicycle now.

The Fragrant MrsP decided to change the tyres on her road bike, so she let me have the Conti GP 4 Seasons that she removed, still got quite a bit of wear left in them and save me a few quid. I gave them a good wash with soapy water, and fitted them on the wheels with the original inner tubes.

Put the wheels on the bike, along with the new brake blocks on the callipers and the saddle, by which time I was cold and decided to call it day after a photo.

I put the bike back on the bike stand, and had a quick stock take of cables and outers I had spare set because these were bought as part of a kit with my Ultegra group set for my birthday from the Fragrant MrsP, but she had to buy white as well, so I had a spare set of cables and outers in black so they’re going on the Scorpio. I ended up doing a ‘soft‘ fit of the brake cables. It was surprisingly easy to get the rear cable outer through the internal top tube holes.

The cables are not fitted properly yet.

ruffers

Veteran
It’s starting to look like a bicycle now.

The Fragrant MrsP decided to change the tyres on her road bike, so she let me have the Conti GP 4 Seasons that she removed, still got quite a bit of wear left in them and save me a few quid. I gave them a good wash with soapy water, and fitted them on the wheels with the original inner tubes.

Put the wheels on the bike, along with the new brake blocks on the callipers and the saddle, by which time I was cold and decided to call it day after a photo.
View attachment 499372

View attachment 499373

View attachment 499374

I put the bike back on the bike stand, and had a quick stock take of cables and outers I had spare set because these were bought as part of a kit with my Ultegra group set for my birthday from the Fragrant MrsP, but she had to buy white as well, so I had a spare set of cables and outers in black so they’re going on the Scorpio. I ended up doing a ‘soft‘ fit of the brake cables. It was surprisingly easy to get the rear cable outer through the internal top tube holes.
View attachment 499375

The cables are not fitted properly yet.
Looks brilliant 👍🏻

Gunk

Guru
That’s a mahoosive frame, what size is it? :ohmy:

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Finished*
I spent most of the afternoon in the garage today finishing the bike.
First I discovered a puncture on the rear even though I hadn’t ridden it, sorted that out, I was happy with the front calliper so I took that apart and refitted that, then the chain went on, set the front derailleur s as last a feckin faff for, these, a dark art but sorted it eventually, final fit of all the cables and outers, fitted the pedals and then I put on some Brooks bar tape that I had kept from my Trek which I couldn’t bring to throw away.

Not very good light outside today so the photos aren’t very good.

I’ve not ridden yet because the roads are wet, I’ll wait for a dryer day, but I did sit on it and I can touch the floor....just. I think it might be to big for me, I don’t know how much it weighs but it doesn’t feel particularly heavy.

*Subject tweaks and adjustments.

Top Bottom