New Project. Raleigh Scorpio.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I’ve had an opportunity to get out to the garage for a couple of hours this afternoon to start putting the bike back together.
First the bottom bracket, new bearings, spindle and loads of grease.

Then the chain set and crank arm, found out what the two nuts were for that I previously couldn’t remember where they’d come from!

The seat post! Don’t talk to me about the seat post, it was in, I needed it out to grease, it was very stiff, I got it out with such force I twatted myself on the forehead and made it bleed! 🤣🤬🙄. Anyway it’s back in now and bolted on.

Next was the fork, had to consult my book and old photos I had taken when dismantling the bike so could but everything back in order. Bearings cleaned and greased, cups all tidy and greased.

Front and rear brake callipers were a bit of a fiddle, but all good now.

I had another go at cleaning some mor rust off the front mech too, looks much better now.

TBC...

ruffers

Veteran
I’ve had an opportunity to get out to the garage for a couple of hours this afternoon to start putting the bike back together.
First the bottom bracket, new bearings, spindle and loads of grease.
View attachment 498961

Then the chain set and crank arm, found out what the two nuts were for that I previously couldn’t remember where they’d come from!
View attachment 498962

View attachment 498963

The seat post! Don’t talk to me about the seat post, it was in, I needed it out to grease, it was very stiff, I got it out with such force I twatted myself on the forehead and made it bleed! 🤣🤬🙄. Anyway it’s back in now and bolted on.
View attachment 498964

Next was the fork, had to consult my book and old photos I had taken when dismantling the bike so could but everything back in order. Bearings cleaned and greased, cups all tidy and greased.
View attachment 498965

View attachment 498966

Front and rear brake callipers were a bit of a fiddle, but all good now.

View attachment 498968

View attachment 498967

I had another go at cleaning some mor rust off the front mech too, looks much better now.
View attachment 498970

View attachment 498971

TBC...
Looking really smart. Well done so far 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

ruffers

Veteran
OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Can’t remember if you said or not beforehand did you buy any decals for the frame? And the big question are you keeping the bike or selling?

I haven’t bought any decals yet, and I may not bother, still considering it.

I don’t know if I’m keeping it or selling yet either.

midlife

Guru
Starting to come together :smile:. Personally I’d put a bit more stem into the steerer for safety.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Starting to come together :smile:. Personally I’d put a bit more stem into the steerer for safety.
Coincidentally I have literally come back in from the garage just now ‘cos I remembered that I hadn’t greased the stem and wedge, so I’ve just done that and noticed the marker, so I’ve re-installed that properly now.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A Raleigh isn't complete without the Nottingham headbadge! A pair of trad-looking downtube decals would certainly finish it off nicely, but not the modern variety found on the imported Raleighs.
I was trying to find decals along the lines of the ones you posted up thread, as yet to no avail. I liked those. I think they’d look good in gold lettering.

Top Bottom