New Project. Raleigh Scorpio.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

funk2monk

Here we go.
I have no experience of powder coating, but having unwrapped the frame and fork I am pleased to report I’m delighted with the finish , it’s the right colour and looks the bees knees.

light is very bad today and the weather is awful so I’m not sure the photos do it justice.
View attachment 496277

View attachment 496278

View attachment 496279

View attachment 496280

View attachment 496281

View attachment 496282 View attachment 496283
View attachment 496284
Edited to add: Although I was quoted £36.00 for this job, it ended up only costing £30.00.
Think the finish and colour look fantastic. As for the price!! Where did you get this done please as i'm looking at getting a Geoffrey Butler frame painted..

carpenter

Über Member
If he tells you where will you promise not to disturb the fairies?

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Not a lot going on with the bike for last few days, been busy but I have just taken delivery of some new brake shoes.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Managed to do a bit more fettling today, cleaned up and lubricated the gear levers, some nuts and bolts and the pedals, from which I removed the knackered straps and toe clips and chucked them.

I cleaned off the paint from the top headset cover and have given it three coats of enamel paint I’ve had lying about.

That’s all the parts sorted, just the wheels to deal with now, then I can start to put it back together.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Started on the rear wheel today, they are ali wheels and they are a bit corroded the cassette is disgusting and full of gunk.

I managed to remove the cassette thanks to RJ the bike guy video on YouTube, cleaned it all up, cleaned the rims and the spokes. Got into a bit of hassle with a ball bearing which I dropped down the spindle when I was attempting to replace them, took me ages to get it out. I’ve given up on that for today itgot too cold in the garage, I’ll come back to it next week. I found on the internet how many ball bearings go where on each race, which is handy, at least I didn’t lose any.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
It's not a cassette, you have dismantled the freewheel :smile: bit of a mare to get back together lol. Buy a new sunrace freewheel and new chain and take the old freewheel body off in a vice.

I meant freewheel not cassette , do’h. If it’s too much of a faff to put back together I’ll take your advice, but it ain’t over yet. Oh and I haven’t got a vice!

ETA, I couldn’t get the cassette off the freewheel because I don’t have the right tool.

midlife

Guru
The way I was taught to put them back together was...... stiff grease to keep the balls in place, wrap cotton thread around the pawls to keep them flat. Put the cogs onto the body over the pawls then pull out the circle of thread. The pawls flip back into place. Stick the lock ring back on anti clockwise.

Repeat until it eventually goes together, lol

Top Bottom