New Project. Raleigh Scorpio.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I had spare twenty minutes just now so I went out to the garage for a fettle. I cleaned up the rusty thread on the awkward chain ring bolt and cleaned up the rest of them with some GT 85 , wire wool and baking foil.

Hopefully I’ll salvage the battered nut, so I don’t have to buy any.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I've been out in the cold garage again today, cleaned up the chain rings and crank arms, and reassembled, cleaned up and polished the fork, took the reflector tape off and the ugly SIS stickers using The Fragrant MrsP's hair dryer, (don't tell) .

I then popped into town for some wire wool and white spirit, when I got back I removed the crown race and cleaned that up and the brake caliper bolts, all these items were in a right state, they ain't perfect now but they are clean, free of rust and functional.

The race probably needs replacing, but I'm going to try and make do.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I've been out in the cold garage again today, cleaned up the chain rings and crank arms, and reassembled, cleaned up and polished the fork, took the reflector tape off and the ugly SIS stickers using The Fragrant MrsP's hair dryer, (don't tell) .

I then popped into town for some wire wool and white spirit, when I got back I removed the crown race and cleaned that up and the brake caliper bolts, all these items were in a right state, they ain't perfect now but they are clean, free of rust and functional.

View attachment 495174

The race probably needs replacing, but I'm going to try and make do.
Is it just the angle of the photograph, or is that right hand fork bent outwards?

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
@CarlP i wish i had your patience in re preparing bikes i prefer just to get them up and running and worry about the cleaning and other details later

The main reason I’m doing it is to learn about the bikes and what does what, I find it fascinating that the sum of the parts reduce down into a little box apart from the frame. If this was a more expensive bike ( it was free) I probably wouldn’t do it, but I’ve got nothing to lose. I really enjoy it, it’s satisfying get bike that doesn’t work working, I’m learning things about myself too, two years ago I wouldn’t have had the nerve to it.

This evening I’ve been re-reading @JhnBssll Ian May thread, I’m considering a re-spray just to see if I can.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
More work outside this morning, cleaning years of grime off the frame, removed the headset cups by knocking them out, and even managed to remove the BB fixed cup!

There are some ugly rust spots only the frame that are somewhat irking me, I really can’t make up my mind if I should paint this frame or not.

I also managed to find the frame number under all the crap. 3157762 which seems like an odd format to me.

0AF24BC5-6774-4AF4-B36D-16BBAD30F76A.jpeg

I need to remove these reflective tapes, but if I'm going to paint the frame I'll leave for now instead of pussy footing around with them .

D7142F80-8053-46D0-B0D4-653B626E1737.jpeg

Fixed cup removed, never done that before.

6E924AE0-294E-4DE2-AF37-9A3F942E50C7.jpeg

A8F82FA7-3419-414C-BE47-B42CF44E57F8.jpeg

7DF83230-6C1E-4A29-AE55-98908F36FBF0.jpeg

I hate these Shimano / Sakae stickers

C6AFAC1E-44C7-4CE9-88F5-713822C8E73E.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I’ve had a quote of £36 for shot blasting and powder coating the frame and fork. I think I might go for it.

So much for the tight budget.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I’ve had a quote of £36 for shot blast in and powder coating the frame and fork. I think I might go for it.

So much for the tight budget.

That's a very good price

Top Bottom