New road and they still can't get it right

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dand_uk

Check out this new road in Brum - here

This is depressing how, even when it is an entirely new road, the designers cannot get it right. Clearly design the road first and shove bikes on the pavement as an after-thought. No one looking at the big picture when putting the signs in either. If cycle paths like this become mandatory I'm giving up cycling.

byegad

Legendary Member
Just asking for an angle grinder!

byegad

Legendary Member
Not that much worse. Not putting the stupid thing in would be an improvement as you wouldn't get moron drivers shouting get on the {insert expletive of choice} cycle path as you do the sensible thing and ride on the road.

Davidc

Guru
Taunton realigned a junction last year and put a 'cycle route' to cross the minor roads.

It is actively dangerous. I am expecting an injured cyclist who has tried to follow it to sue the council at some stage.

I don't know who dreams these things up. They have clearly never ridden a bike in their lives, have no knowledge of basic physics, and no basic common sense either.

machew

Veteran
Response from Councillor Huxtable (Via another fourm)

i Bus Stops located near to the University Grange Road Gate

With regard to this point, I can confirm that the detail/arrangement of the bus stops were incorrect and will need to be changed. CENTRO has been asked to undertake the necessary work immediately.

ii Cycle Paths

It is always our intention to position street furniture and signs to avoid obstructing cyclists and pedestrians. When positioning posts to large signs, the contractor has to take into account various constraints including clearance to the road, size of foundation, underground services and private land. Site staff worked within the site constrains to achieve the optimum position for all signs. These signs have also been subject to an 'on site' Road Safety Audit. I fully understand your concerns, however on this site locating posts more centrally could have been significantly costly.

CotterPin

Be interesting to see that Road Safety Audit.

the snail

Guru
that road looks really wide, surely there would be enough space to put the signs in the road? Motorists wouldn't find it difficult to drive around them, would they?

headcoat

Über Member
So, moving the traffic light sign to the side would have cost too much!!! Widening the other signs so you got one post next to the kerb and one next to the field.... typical, no sense in design and even less sense on site!!

Bman

Guru
Ironically, I find the safest streets are those that were designed before the motor car was widespread. You know, like the narrow (ish) roads of a market town (like Hitchin).

And how can the "Councillor Huxtable" use cost as an excuse for not ensuring the safety of cyclists!!! :cursing: "Well you know, we wanted to build the nuclear reactor thick enough to prevent radiation leaking, but it was too expensive!" Unbelievable.....

If they dont have enough money to build a road that is safe for all of its users, then dont ****ing build it!

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Check out this new road in Brum - here

This is depressing how, even when it is an entirely new road, the designers cannot get it right. Clearly design the road first and shove bikes on the pavement as an after-thought. No one looking at the big picture when putting the signs in either. If cycle paths like this become mandatory I'm giving up cycling.

Ah the old selly oak bypass...What a shoot road design that is. The actual road is nice, surface is lovely and smooth, and going downhill there you can get a lovely turn of speed. No-one I know who cycles in Brum would ever use the cycle path.

Top Bottom