New saddle advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, my thoughts to, but what shape would be right? I could do with something that lacks sudden/sharp edges where the padding abruptly ends leaving a hard side edge. Something perhaps where the padding wraps slightly under the edge rathe than simply ending there?
I updated my post... and are presumably wearing chafing underwear, another very good reason for cycling shorts, worn commando
The padding on shorts should stop the rubbing, put some sudocreme where you get the rubbing before cycling, or some sort of lubricating cream

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

I hear you but not wishing to contradict you, it's nothing to do with underwear. It's not in a place where my underwear would be present and I can feel that pressure as soon as I sit on the bike before even starting to move/pedal.
It's where my weight is pushing that part of my leg/s into a particular part of the saddle that is firm/hard (no padding) and the resulting 'perfect storm' is the pain.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Again charge spoon
I used to get chafing with flat saddles i was going through shorts at a rapid rate and getting saddle sores , tried the fabric scoop shallow which is similar shape to a spoon but flatter so more of a pronounced edge and although not as bad as the flat saddles i rode it was still a bit meh .
swapped the the spoon and fabric scoop radius and problem solved.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Again charge spoon
I used to get chafing with flat saddles i was going through shorts at a rapid rate and getting saddle sores , tried the fabric scoop shallow which is similar shape to a spoon but flatter so more of a pronounced edge and although not as bad as the flat saddles i rode it was still a bit meh .
swapped the the spoon and fabric scoop radius and problem solved.

Thanks, does the Spoon have padded edges then? That's where I get the digging into the top of my inner thigh?

All uphill

Still rolling along
Noseless saddles are available. A Google search will come up with options.

If you still get pain with one of these you will know it's not chafing between leg and the front of the saddle! I wouldn't suggest one as a long term solution but it might help you narrow down the source of the problem.

The Spoon is certainly not hard. The padding is not massive, but there is give in it. I was initially skeptical, but it's been very easy to live with, and usually a great price too.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Thanks, the Spoon review does not state if the padding continues a little around and under the sides. If it doesn't it looks like it will dig in exactly where I'm having problems.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Thanks, the Spoon review does not state if the padding continues a little around and under the sides. If it doesn't it looks like it will dig in exactly where I'm having problems.
i was having the saddle edge dig in just on the bit where the leg meets the groin and it turned out it was the shape of the saddle as much as the back width , the flat saddle design for me meant the transition from flat to edge was to pronounced , i found to spoon for me had a curved edge which means the edge that rubbed was no longer an issue .Of course saddles area personal choice .

Top Bottom