New saddle advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sloth

Hi again, as part of my refit of my MTB I'd like to upgrade the saddle for something more comfortable.
The bike still has the saddle that came with it from new and it's not at all comfortable, very hard and generally unpleasant for me personally.
I appreciate they are a very personal ergonomic thing but just to get me started in the right direction a few suggestions would be good?
I'm 5'8" and currently around 13st although that will come down once I start cycling and running again.
I don't have skinny legs, especially at the top of the thigh but it's more muscle than fat.
My inside leg length (if that's relevant for this) is around 30".
The majority of riding pain and discomfort seems to be in my perineum area and between my buttocks, not the tops of my legs or inner thigh so much.
I plan on (hopefully) rides of between 5 miles up to say 20 or even more as I get fitter and more used to cycling but that won't happen if it's uncomfortable and therefore unpleasant.
I know there is a little of just getting used to it but I don't see why it should be this unpleasant.
Thanks in advance.
Sloth.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Forgot to add, as I'll be getting a road bike next year I don't want to over invest on the MTB so saddles of over £30-£40 may be a little disproportionate to the bike value.

I'm also looking at a decent pair of padded cycling shorts to help with this as my current ones were cheap and cheerful.

vickster

Legendary Member
Saddle ‘Comfort‘ is very subjective and individual. Measure your sit bones (google as to how to do this yourself) and take it from there once you know what width you want.
The Charge Spoon is a popular inexpensive option and if you don’t get on with it, you won’t make much of a loss if anything selling it on. If you do get on with it, you can just put on the roadbike.
Saddles aren’t really road or MTB specific, they either work for you or not (if racing or doing TTs you might want a different saddle to one that you’re touring on, but otherwise a saddle is a saddle).

Do you wear padded shorts, might also be worth considering

weareHKR

There’s no one saddle that suits every rider & they are different depending on your type of bike, Mountain, Road, leisure etc.
Saddle position is also important, as in tilted back and/or forward, this will make you shift around all the time trying to get comfortable, also the height, you can check this by using the 109% method, although I've never actually tried that myself! :rolleyes:
It really depends on the width of your sit bones, a decent LBS should have a tool to measure these, tool as in a type of foam cushion you can sit on & it will show up the area where the pressure is at it's greatest which corresponds with where those bones are & should be able to recommend a good saddle for you to try.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
I had a similar problem to you as well as a bit of numbness when I started racking up the miles. I went on Ebay and purchased a second hand barely used Selle SMP TRK and its an absolute delight. No need to bother with those silly padded shorts either.

My thighs and rides are similar to yours and I use this £5 saddle which is fine for me.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Comfy-Bi...-/124302101814?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292
cripes - that is cheap - especially as it includes free UK postage.
It says it's leather.
Surely not?

I must stress I'm not being snobby about it - I think there's a lot of crap talked about saddles and "innovative" designs and cheap things can be very good. I never really pay over £20.

Hmq8

Regular
hi is it important to change saddle what is side effect if i do not change it to bigger ? decathlon usually out of stock hard to fid in my country

vickster

Legendary Member
hi is it important to change saddle what is side effect if i do not change it to bigger ? decathlon usually out of stock hard to fid in my country
You don’t need to change the saddle if you’re happy and comfortable on what you have 👍

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

Are you having a tin bath? :eek: I've never paid that much for a complete bike, with or without a saddle. I did by a beater of a 3-speed last year for £1 as it had a decent Selle Italia touring saddle on it. I put it on my Raleigh Royal and its excellent even for long rides. Wittkop medium width trekking saddles sold by Lidl during their cycling promotions for under £8 have been recommended to me by three different riders now, and at that price you can afford to take a chance on the fit.

Top Bottom