New saddle advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Err, a little on the pricey side methinks.....like ridiculous!
and you'd think that price could fund some decent copywriting.
"bleeding-edge material science" it says!

on the OP's original post, I had the idea that the existing saddle was essentially the right shape but just too hard - this is possible, I have such a saddle - nothing wrong with the shape but if off on a longer ride I have to ensure that I am wearing some good padding.
If so I would be inclined to measure it - front to back, width at the back where you sit, and get something very similar with more (but not excessive or soft) padding. I'd look in Decathlon first - they do some decent saddles from the Selle Royal stable.

I use this and it's good for my bony arse
madison
I have a madison saddle as well - not that one - (can't check. don't live with the bike) - perfectly decent - have done 80 miles round the Dales on it - cost a shade over £20 I think - shows you don't have to spend a lot. There is a confusing range of saddles out there for sure which must boggle the mind of many - simplify things for yourself OP and don't look at anything at all over £30.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
cripes - that is cheap - especially as it includes free UK postage.
It says it's leather.
Surely not?

I must stress I'm not being snobby about it - I think there's a lot of crap talked about saddles and "innovative" designs and cheap things can be very good. I never really pay over £20.

I don’t care what it’s made from. It’s comfy and that’s what matters.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

So, I have measured my 'sit bones' at 110mm centre to centre. So do I add 20mm onto that to get my actual sit bone size?
Then what width saddle does that equate to? I presume it has to be wider than my sit bone measurement (including the added 20mm or not?)
So if I do include the added 20mm I get 130mm total sit bone measurement so would a saddle of 145mm width be wide enough or should i go for a 160-165mm saddle to be on the safe side?
I'm not a serious, aggressive rider so although not bolt upright I would not be leaning way forward in an aggressive/race position.
It's a flat bar MTB bike (for road use though) not a drop bar road bike.

I have seen the Selle Italia Garda, which looks ok (165mm - approx. 550g) and also the Terry Figura Gel Max (150mm - approx. 300g)

I want plenty of gel padding as I'm sick of feeling violated after every ride.

vickster

Legendary Member
Not sure I follow you?.....
Wrong thread posting?

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

The Terry is lighter but is it worth an extra £20? Actually £25 if I count postage which I'll not need from the local Halfords.

Top Bottom