New saddle advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

monkers

Veteran
You've received plenty of good advice up there. Here's one further tip though ...

Trek has a components arm called Bontrager. They operate a scheme from their website where they actually encourage you to order, try things out, return them with no quibbles within 30 days if you are not completely satisifed with your purchase. They have a wide range of saddles on their site with sizes and prices to suit most depths of pocket.

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/...price-asc&pageSize=24&q=:relevance&show=Page#

weareHKR

They might as well try selling something, they've got no bikes... :laugh:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
OK, so I think I've whittled it down to these, tell me what you think and if possible why?
I appreciate it's very personal but I'm asking for advice on the quality etc. of these saddles and especially any personal experience of their comfort etc?
In no particular order of preference...

1/ Selle italia Talisman Flow https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...selle-italia-talisman-flow-saddle-344854.html

2/ Terry Figura GTC Gel Saddle Men (2020) https://www.bikester.co.uk/terry-fi...Ud9oRwDX4gYofgS8SHY0jJzzZjAh9JJxoCZfUQAvD_BwE

3/ Madison Flux Mens Saddle With Cro-Mo Rails https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Madison-Fl...9I2mEuSpCGLHfcnw35eerrGfgf6IBPBoC9AIQAvD_BwE#
I have a Charge Spoon on 3 of my bikes, clearly it started with 1 and went from there. usual disclaimers, all bums are different, but I tried a variety of cheap and expensive saddles before happening on the Spoon. From your shortlist i'd go Flux as its virtually identical to the Spoon.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Thanks, my only hesitation with the Flux is the lack of gel padding, I'm worried it will be too firm.
I think I need that padding, as my current seat is very thin foam padding and is 145mm width, very uncomfortable and hard.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Thanks, my only hesitation with the Flux is the lack of gel padding, I'm worried it will be too firm.
I think I need that padding, as my current seat is very thin foam padding and is 145mm width, very uncomfortable and hard.
no you want padding in your shorts, where is doesn't move from where its needed, not a fat bouncy saddle. most of all you need your bike position so the weight is distributed between arms, arse and feet so you don't over pressure your arse. i

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
madison flux and charge spoon are basically the same saddle

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Thanks, the SMP TRK looks great but I'm not sure if 160mm is too wide?
It does look a little 'plump' to doesn't it?
Perhaps that's why it's so (apparently) comfortable?

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

All good advice above, thanks.
To be honest all this does makes Halfords 30 day guarantee tempting, providing they have the saddles you want to try.
They do a decent (but not complete) Selle Italia range, including the S5 flow and Talisman flow.
I'd really like to see the Selle Italia Man Gel Flow in the leather, so to speak, anyone tried that?

I saw another make in a very unhelpful LBS on Saturday, they were made by 'BioFlex', the models I thought of interest were the BioFlex 'OnGel' Ozone Sport and Ozone Athletic?

What do we know and think about this brand?

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Thanks guys, some interesting stuff here for a newby.

I do appreciate that saddles are a very individual ergonomic thing and that one persons pleasure perch can be another's seat of suffering.
Of course I can't try every saddle before I buy (and perhaps in the current situation not at all), unless it's a local retailer like Halfords with a 30 day return policy, and even with a return policy that doesn't help if they don't stock the saddles I'm interested in?
For example, I'm very interested in the unfortunately named Selle Italia 'man gel'
icon_confused.gif

However, despite Selle Italia being a brand stocked by Halfords, they don't sell that particular one so I can't buy and try it (buy/ride/repeat).
It's a 150mm wide saddle with gel but doesn't seem to be squidgy according to reviews and has generally good reviews. Not overly heavy either, although that's not a major concern for me anyway.
I'm wondering if a leather topped saddle will be less grippy to my nylons as I ride along, which is Inthink a good thing?

Anyway, the short list is not long and seems to be centred around the following:-

Selle Italia 'man gel'
Selle Italia S5 Flow
Ergon SFC3 Evo Gel
Terry Figura GTC

I like the idea of the Maddison Flux but am concerned it may be too hard for my delicate sit bones?

Opinions on the specific saddles above would be appreciated?

Thanks
Local Bike Sloth (LBS)
icon_lol.gif

vickster

Legendary Member
Given experiences differ, why not just buy the man gel and try it. If it’s no good, just flog on eBay. Yes you might lose £20 but otherwise you’ll spend months more overthinking with a sore bum

fwiw I didn’t get on with the lady version at all despite it being the correct width, just too spongy. Sold on here to someone who’s happy with it I believe

Top Bottom