New saddle advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

So I got my sit bones measured at a shop today, I measured them at 110mm (using tin foil and piece of carpet) and they measured them at 115mm so I wasn't far out.
I was advised that I needed a saddle width of around 140-145mm width and that too wide may cause more problems.
I tried a couple on the bikes in the store but no matter which one I tried I felt uncomfortable pressure, not on my SB's but rather at the very top of my inner thighs, right at the top near my buttock in the crook between my berries and my leg but on the leg side.
It felt like the edge of the seat was digging into me there, kind of like it was pushing onto some tissue there.
Both saddles were Gel but also fairly firm padding in their feel to me.
Anyway, I'm more confused than ever.
Would a seat that was over 140mm wide at the back but very quickly tapered to a thin nose help?
Should I go for a extra padded saddle and hope it compensates for my seemingly odd and unforgiving anatomy?

One of the saddles was I believe a specialized-phenom comp and the others name escapes me totally.

Some of the pressure could undoubtably be due to me just sitting on the saddle on a stationary/propped up bike with most of my weight bearing straight down. I did lift my feet into a more peddling type position but it's hard to get an accurate feel without actually riding.

The pressure I feel is focussed on the part of the saddle where the wide section at the rear curves into the narrower nose section, give or take depending the saddle. Not on the rear where my sit bones should be but in the curve on the sides. Like the edge of the seat is digging into me.

I'm wondering if a saddle that continues the padding around the sides and partially under the sides, rather than simply stopping (leaving a hard edge on the sides of the seat) will help?
Are SMP TRK's like that? Which other saddles have gel/padding that wraps around the sides rather than only going to the edge?
Just a thought as I'm out of ideas!

vickster

Legendary Member
Get some padded shorts from somewhere like planet x and see if they help at least while your behind toughens up

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Hi, thanks but I already have an old pair of padded shorts I can use. I wore then before and still had the issues.
To be honest I have no intention of putting myself (or my ass) through any 'toughening up' process, if it's that uncomfortable and without prompt respite, then it's simply not worth it to me.
Meanwhile however, my search for possible solutions continues.

To be honest I have no intention of putting myself (or my ass) through any 'toughening up' process
That's a shame, it really isn't avoidable to some degree if you're doing reasonable miles as opposed to pootling to the shops. If on a really 'sit-up-and-beg' bike for relatively short rides, then ordinary clothes and a softer saddle work ok. Really is better to toughen up a bit...

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi, thanks but I already have an old pair of padded shorts I can use. I wore then before and still had the issues.
To be honest I have no intention of putting myself (or my ass) through any 'toughening up' process, if it's that uncomfortable and without prompt respite, then it's simply not worth it to me.
Meanwhile however, my search for possible solutions continues.
Old, as in worn? Get some new ones?
but as above, I’d think few cyclists never get any discomfort

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Guys, when I last wore the shorts they were new and my ass still hurt!....after only a couple of miles! OK they are not expensive shorts but they are padded.
Seriously, I really want this to work but not enough to put up with pain and discomfort.
I'm not talking long rides, even when I'm sorted I doubt I'll go further than 20 miles or so and probably around 10-15 miles on average, but if I am in severe discomfort after only a couple of miles then it's not a matter of toughening up, something is wrong.
I suspect it's a combination of a crap saddle and incorrect saddle positioning, hopefully I'll find out soon.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

I have spoken to Dillglove and they are prepared to send me out both a SMP TRK Gel (160mm W)) and an SMP 'Extra' Gel (140mm W) FOC with only a refundable deposit. I can then either return them for a full refund if not happy with either or have either for £55 delivered (or collected if I decide to buy one before I drop the demo's off).
Just waiting for Dillglove to confirm those prices to avoid misunderstandings.

The only other one's I'm considering are the Selle Italia 'Man Gel' (150mm W) and the Terry Figura GTC Gel.
The Selle Italia Man Gel looks a great saddle and is currently on a great deal from Bikester for £53 + £5 delivery (RRP £89.99) and the Terry Figura GTC Gel for £51 + £5 delivery)
So there's not a lot in it at all.

Failing all that I may just buy a cheap gel saddle off eBay off eBay and see how it goes?

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

It's not my sit bones so much as the hard, tendon tissue right at the top of my legs where the leg meets the groin but on the leg side not the groin side.

vickster

Legendary Member
It's not my sit bones so much as the hard, tendon tissue right at the top of my legs where the leg meets the groin but on the leg side not the groin side.
Is it on both sides? If only one, try angling the saddle away from that side a tiny bit (I only ever get chafing on one side and this helps).

Looking at your picture, you need a narrower saddle or to sit further forwards so your sit bones are on the saddle and not so much your legs

vickster

Legendary Member
Both sides but more so on the right.
Try angling the saddle (move the seatpost slightly away from that side).
Sounds like you probably have the wrong shaped saddle though and are presumably wearing chafing underwear, another very good reason for cycling shorts, worn commando

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Try angling the saddle (move the seatpost slightly away from that side).
Sounds like you probably have the wrong shaped saddle though

Yes, my thoughts to, but what shape would be right? I could do with something that lacks sudden/sharp edges where the padding abruptly ends leaving a hard side edge. Something perhaps where the padding wraps slightly under the edge rathe than simply ending there?

Top Bottom