New saddle advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

It'll probably come to that to be honest.
I'm out on (socially distanced) business on Thursday so have arranged to pop into a shop near where I'm going for a (also socially distanced...somehow) saddle fitting assessment.
Not sure what it involves or if it will help but it's free and can't do any harm.
I don't think it is a full technical assessment, just a sit bone measure, followed by general advice based on my height/weight and riding style etc.
I may as well hold off another day or two and see what they say?

Meanwhile, has anyone tried the Selle SMP TRK at all? It looks weird but is supposed to be very comfy?

vickster

Legendary Member
@biggs682 uses the TRK

vickster

Legendary Member
OK thanks, hopefully he/she will pipe in?
He...have you done a search for other threads, that saddle gets mentioned from time to time...
...but it really doesn't matter as saddles are a personal thing so just because one person thinks they are the bees knees, doesn't mean you will!!

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Thanks, understood.
It is good to get varied opinions though as sometimes a trend , repeating theme or constant comment can materialise to give at least some indication of how the saddle behaves on most people...perhaps!

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks, understood.
It is good to get varied opinions though as sometimes a trend , repeating theme or constant comment can materialise to give at least some indication of how the saddle behaves on most people...perhaps!
The Charge Spoon seems to suit most people who try it :okay: Indeed, I've recently started using the Ladle (and have bought another for the turbo bike as it seems to work well)

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thanks @vickster
@Sloth I have used trk's on mtb's , road bikes , 50's roadster and we have them on the family tandem .
Yes they are wider than the Smp lite 209's I also use but both me and my partner find them comfy .
I regularly do 50 mile rides on them with no issues and I don't use padded shorts or leggings .

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Thanks , I appreciate your swift response :okay:
Is yours a medium (?160mm)
My sit bones are 110mm centre to centre and I ride a MTB on the road with semi-slicks and the front suspension pre-loaded as much as it will go, not locked (they won't) but at least as stiff as it will go.
I think a 140 - 145mm width saddle will be too narrow (same as my current one!)

Ideally it would be good if enough people with the same or similar SB width and cycling type/style commented on a particular saddle as that would give a good indicator (not 100% but still helpful) as to that saddle suiting someone else of the same specs etc? Unlikely to happen I suspect.

A saddle review sticky, categorised into sit bone/cycling style/type etc. would be a great resource!

monkers

Veteran
My sit bones are 110mm centre to centre and I ride a MTB on the road with semi-slicks and the front suspension pre-loaded as much as it will go, not locked (they won't) but at least as stiff as it will go.

Ideally it would be good if enough people with the same or similar SB width and cycling type/style commented on a particular saddle as that would give a good indicator (not 100% but still helpful) as to that saddle suiting someone else of the same specs etc? Unlikely to happen I suspect.

A saddle review sticky, categorised into sit bone/cycling style/type etc. would be a great resource!

I've read in a few places that the rule of thumb for saddle width is considered to be your sit bone width plus about 25mm. According to that 'rule', your saddle width needs to be about 135mm. for your sit bones to be supported by the correct part of the saddle.

vickster

Legendary Member

Yep - why don't you make one and ask the mods to sticky :okay:
Don't forget to do by gender too ;)
It might take you a while as there are 100s of saddles out there used by forum members :okay:

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

I've read in a few places that the rule of thumb for saddle width is considered to be your sit bone width plus about 25mm. According to that 'rule', your saddle width needs to be about 135mm. for your sit bones to be supported by the correct part of the saddle.

My current saddle (was on the MTB when I bought it nearly 20 years ago) is around 140mm and is very uncomfortable on my poor slothy sit bones.
It has very little padding but has also had under 200 miles of use from new! As has the whole bike!
You see the saddle soreness combined with severe trapezius cramp/burning simply put me off and I kept on running instead of cycling as it was just unpleasant for me.

vickster

Legendary Member
My current saddle (was on the MTB when I bought it nearly 20 years ago) is around 140mm and is very uncomfortable on my poor slothy sit bones.
It has very little padding but has also had under 200 miles of use from new! As has the whole bike!
You see the saddle soreness combined with severe trapezius cramp/burning simply put me off and I kept on running instead of cycling as it was just unpleasant for me.
That suggests the bike is the wrong size / set up and that you need to do some stretching/foam rolling/tennis ball massage (or hockey / lacrosse ball if you're a masochist :biggrin: )
The sizing issue could also be causing nether region issues as you're not sat right on the saddle
Maybe you do need padded shorts if you have a bony behind :okay:

monkers

Veteran

I'm sorry to hear of your discomfort. I have no medical training or knowledge, so I'll not endeavour to offer any advice that way.

My other half is having problems with saddle soreness. She has a Liv Langma road bike, couldn't get on with the supplied saddle. She has now tried 5 and still not happy after seeking advice. I gave her the same advice as I offered you earlier, ie to view the Bontrager range at the Trek main website. They have a good range to suit most tastes and pockets, but more than that, they will send you your choice of saddle to try for up to 90 days - if you are not fully satisfied they will return your money - no quibble. This will save you from wasting money on multiple saddles.

She hasn't listened to me either, and is on the point of ordering yet another saddle. :rolleyes:^_^ I already know the outcome before it arrives, but I know better than to keep repeating the same advice indoors. ^_^

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Yep - why don't you make one and ask the mods to sticky :okay:
Don't forget to do by gender too ;)
It might take you a while as there are 100s of saddles out there used by forum members :okay:

Hmmm, I was sort of thinking starting from scratch rather than trawling though possibly helpful threads, as you say a mammoth task which I don't have the time or in all honesty the expertise to do.
To start saddle sub-section that is then divided into basic SB width & cycling style sub-threads would be easy and useful. It may not have all the old threads but at least it would be somewhere to both post and use as a resource for people looking for new saddle suggestions.
i.e. Saddle Re-sores - Male or Female sections - Sit bone width (i.e. Male 90-110/110-130 etc.) - Cycling type/style (Upright/semi-leaning/severe leaning or aggressive race posture)
Basically, people would post their comments/reviews or questions in the appropriate sub-thread so when reading/posting the reader/writer knows it relates to someone similar to themselves regarding SB width, cycling style/posture etc. Of course it can't account for peoples varying tolerances of discomfort etc. but at least it would be an educated guesses?
I'm just thinking out loud so to speak and am perhaps not best qualified to do this but it would be very useful and eventually reduce repetitive questions (from people like me!)
I'm going for a lay down.......:hello:

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

That suggests the bike is the wrong size / set up and that you need to do some stretching/foam rolling/tennis ball massage (or hockey / lacrosse ball if you're a masochist :biggrin: )
The sizing issue could also be causing nether region issues as you're not sat right on the saddle
Maybe you do need padded shorts if you have a bony behind :okay:

Yes there was some of that to it I think.
The frame is the correct size apparently (it is an 18" frame, which on a MTB is correct for my 5'8" height).
The seat height may have been a little out and the reach was too long to the bars so the saddle is now further forward.
Now, if I sit on the bike with the ball of my foot on the pedal in the lowest position I have a slight bend on my knee, so that seems OK.
If I put my heel on the pedal I can just about fully extend my leg at the lowest pedal position, so again I think that's OK?
The bar height cannot be changed on my head set and the bars are around the same height as the seat, perhaps slightly lower.
Still want a better saddle though as frankly the one it came with looks and more importantly feels crap and very uncomfortable.
Even with padded shorts (yes I do have a pair although they are only a budget pair I bought many years ago) they are not 3d or 4d or even gel but still padded nonetheless.

I appreciate you are kidding but in all seriousness, I don't think I have a bony behind, in fact bony is not a term I think would ever be associated with me?
I'm 5'8", stocky build and fairly well muscled (albeit a little overweight right now at 13st) so anything but bony.
Perhaps the saddle just puts pressure on the wrong place for me personally or perhaps I simply have a low tolerance for it (possible, I even hate itchy clothing), either way, it's unpleasant and life's too short to spend my leisure time being uncomfortable and even in pain ^_^

Last edited:
Top Bottom