New to CycleChat? Make your first post here and say HELLO :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

number12bus

Hello

Hi Gentlepeople, managed to waste my afternoon on the (great) forum. Used to cycle a daily commute with longer weekly rides... then stopped. Work's entered a team into the LBR so I've rescued my bike from in-law's shed and about to go out tonight for the 1st time in years, determined to make it up the beacon at the end of the LBR so I guess I better get pedalling.

Only one question should I wear a helmet and some high-viz, or not. :biggrin:

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
Good luck ... ;)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
number12bus said:
Only one question should I wear a helmet and some high-viz, or not. :smile:
Is this the quick way to make friends and enimies in one second?:smile::biggrin::biggrin:

Welcome - you have gone straight for one of our weak points but you missed out Red Light Jumping and riding on the pavement if you wanted a full house:biggrin:.

Arch

Married to Night Train
rhod6 said:
hi all, i have just registered for the london to brighton ride, im 40 years old and only cycled as a child.what sort of bike should i buy and what sort of training program should i follow. any tips greatfully received. cheers:biggrin:

How long is a piece of string?:ohmy: Welcome, by the way.

If you've just signed up for what I think is a purely on road ride, then probably the main thing is not to get an all out mountain bike, anything with needless heavy suspension, or knobbly tyres. A hybrid is probably the easy way in, relatively upright, often equipped with rack and mudguards etc. The other options are a tourer (that will have a rack and so on and probably be a very steady ride) or varying degrees of 'road bike' - what used to be called a racer - drop bars, lighter weight, skinny tyres, a little more 'frisky' handling. Best to think about what you want the bike for after the L to B - commuting, leisure, pootling about or getting a bit of speed up, and then choosing a bike to suit that.

As for training, basically, just get out and ride regularly, for longer and longer distances. Take it easy as you get used to the bike, then build up. Once you can do 40-50 miles comfortably, you can probably do the 60 without too much extra trouble on the day. Of course, if you can build up to doing the 60 regularly, you're sorted

rebeccs

Hello all

Just thought I'd say hi as I've just joined the forum. I'm relatively new to the cycling world. Been doing a cycling commute to work (7.5 miles each way) since January and have graduated to doing every day for two weeks now. :biggrin: My aim is a better commute to work combined with getting fitter and slimmer. :biggrin:

twowheeledrider4 said:
i have only been back cycling for about 4 months now, and dont get much time to cycle due to work commitments, but hopefully this will change

sarah
x
Hi Sarah welcome to the world of cycling and of course cycle chat :angry:

potsy

Rambler
Hi everyone I'm so new to this cycling lark I haven't even bought my 1st bike yet :angry: been looking at the Specialized Globe Vienna3 for a 9 mile each way commute read some good comments on here about it.

Davidc

Guru
Hello. I missed this when I signed on so a bit late.

Been cycling for the last 50 years and now have my own bike again (instead of borrowing one of the kids' bikes) so cycling more than I have for some time. It's a mountain bike derivative which is good for canal towpaths and bridleways but very poor on roads. Too heavy with front suspension and the aluminium frame and forks give a hard ride.

Expect I'll be back to having more than one bike again! Perhaps a good tourer when I can afford it. For number 2 I quite fancy the Thorn Club Tour, but it'll probably be something like a second hand Dawes Horizon.

David

bluefirebucket

Well, I did it, joined a forum, so I can write stuff now, big jump that from being just a reader, feels a bit less voyeuristic but scary too, what shall I say? I know heed the voice of experience, so.......HELLO!.....is that shouting in capitals? Sorry didn't mean to just got a bit giddy, better lie down a while now. See ya.

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
bluefirebucket said:
Well, I did it, joined a forum, so I can write stuff now, big jump that from being just a reader, feels a bit less voyeuristic but scary too, what shall I say? I know heed the voice of experience, so.......HELLO!.....is that shouting in capitals? Sorry didn't mean to just got a bit giddy, better lie down a while now. See ya.

See, there you go, one down, thousands more to go .... :thumbsup:

Gadgetrowe

Well its my turn... Hello to all - especially those of you that have posted messages about new bike choices!
Been reading and using the forum for about a week now to look up a few reviews and comments on kit - but thouight i would join in the discussion now!

I've just replaced my 15 year old Raleigh Record Sprint for a new Ridley EOS 2009 edition that i bought through the cycle to work scheme.
Went out on it yesterday for the first time and needless to say i'm a happy man.

Cheers all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom