New to Fixed wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Got the same - Bowery 72

image004.jpg

Has been one of my favourites. Well used to fixed and rode it initially as a fixed, but as there are many descents round here, now prefer a SS freewheel. I also found after breaking my collar bone a couple of times, that it put a strain on my shoulders on longer rides with fixed. This photo was at an early season 10 and I think I was on about an 84" fixed, but for normal riding, use a 44x17 which is about a 68" gear.

Have since replaced the front forks as they developed a creak and the wheels have changed over the years, but still the basic Giant underneath.

Sharky

Guru
View attachment 435345

Can anyone advise on the best procedure for removing the back wheel please.

I've never used a contraption like that to stop the wheel slipping. Have always found that the normal wheel nuts do the job just fine.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Those are chaintugs. Remove the axle nuts and loosen the tug nut and you should be able to slip the chaintug's loop off the axle. I wouldn't bother with them unless you have chromed dropouts, which can be rather slippy. On normal dropouts you can even run a QR skewer, if you have an appropriate type of hub with hollow bolted axle (e.g. Goldtec). My Bob Griffin is currently fixed and is using a respaced Campag Record freewheel hub with a QR - no slippage at all.

colly

Re member eR
Good advice in the previous posts. Especially about remembering to pedal.
As for getting up hills, if you find hills a chore, pedalling fixed should help you improve.
I find l can get up some climbs that even on a geared bike l am using all the gears available.
Maybe because fixed is more efficient, maybe is because you only have one gear and you just have to get on with it.

OP
OP
Spiderweb

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
So I've Sussed out how to remove the back wheel. I don't fancy fixing a puncture at the side of the road so I've swapped the tyres for some super tough 700x23 Specialized Armadillo's which I had in stock together with some 60mm valve inner tubes as the others were a little short for the deep section rims, the track pump wouldn't seat correctly.
I've put some pedals on with flat one side and SPD the other and I've swapped round the back wheel so I'm 'fixed'.
I've just had a tentative ride around at work and it's a bit tricky to say the least, it's the mounting and dismounting that's worrying. Anyway I will persevere, once I'm up a running it feels ok but the gearing feels tough, can't imagine how I'll cope with even the smallest hillock!

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Mounting isn't too bad as you always know where the pedal will be. The problem comes when you haven't clipped in after a few revs and the bike is gathering speed downhill!

colly

Re member eR
You have to anticipate when coming up to a junction or lights. Unclipping at the best point becomes second nature after while. Even so it's easy to get it wrong, so learning how to step off at any stage of rotation is useful.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
You have to anticipate when coming up to a junction or lights. Unclipping at the best point becomes second nature after while. Even so it's easy to get it wrong, so learning how to step off at any stage of rotation is useful.

But track stands ecome easier and more crucial, so no need to unclip.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I run 48- 16 on a 170 crank and find it just right for everything I do whether it be commuting or Audax which I happily complete a 200k without any issues. You might have the odd walk if the lump is nasty but that's part of the fun ! DCLane can confirm the Audax'ness of my bike as he watched me leave for one in Lincolnshire in September :laugh:

carpenter

Über Member
Hi - seeking advice:

I last rode a fixed wheel about 45 years ago. Forgot to peddle going downhill on my first ride and went over the bars, I was young fit and bounced nothing hurt apart from my pride.
I did get used to the fixed wheel though and found it brilliant for speed and my general fitness.

I am think of putting a fixed wheel on my next build, would it be advisable to do without the rat traps as I am not as flexible/well co ordinated as I once was.

Top Bottom