New to padded shorts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
Each to their own , I was advised to apply to the skin rather than the shorts, maybe we are both right???
I am agreeing.. Always the Barse other than in an Ironman where I need the shorts prelubed

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Chamois cream is an interesting one.

The first anti-chafe cycling shorts had a pad made of chamois leather.

I reckon the use of cream was to keep the leather soft, which in turn helped the leather to do its job.

Chamois cream on today's synthetic pads is unlikely to do a lot for the pad.

But I suppose it could still act as a moisturiser or lubricant for the skin.

Happily for me, I've never felt the need to use it.

Once you start using these types of preparations it's a job to wean yourself off them.

Using chamois cream is something else to buy and a bit more faffage before riding - both to be avoided if possible.

Goggs

Guru
You reckon right, that's exactly what chamois cream was originally intended for. I actually bought my first tub of the stuff the other day & so far have used it once. In all honesty I'm not sure it made any difference at all. I covered 25km & my backside was no less painful than it always has been without. There are possibly health benefits in that I have no saddle sores but I had none without either so who knows. I bought Elite Ozone because it was all the LBS sold.

I'm pretty sure I need to buy a new saddle. I may take the plunge & buy a Brooks B17 and be done with it.

After washing, dry outside in strong sunshine to kill any bugs surviving the 30C wash. For those who need reminding, sunshine is that stuff you get on holidays.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Nothing wrong with a good blob of chamois cream just before a good bike ride, if nothing else it will provide a good barrier to help prevent chafing and saddle soreness especially if like me you are very hairy.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I wear a pair of cycling shorts with a pair of bib shorts over the top and it works well for me. I use zinc cream and it keeps the sores away. After each ride I wash the shorts in the shower and they are dry for the next days ride.

Now the delicate bit.

After I put both pairs of shorts on I re-adjust my tackle so its all up front and not underneath on the saddle. If you feel discomfort on the ride, take time to adjust yourself straight away.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Now the delicate bit.

After I put both pairs of shorts on I re-adjust my tackle so its all up front and not underneath on the saddle. If you feel discomfort on the ride, take time to adjust yourself straight away.
Oh well, if we're going there...

Which brands have pads that come up far enough that few men will have the front pad seam cut them in two? Not Endura, Altura or a third one I can't remember until I get home (dare2b or dhb probably).

That and the lovely spandex rash (suspected to affect over 10% to some degree IIRC) was why I switched to padding the saddle.

Top Bottom