New to padded shorts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Which brands have pads that come up far enough that few men will have the front pad seam cut them in two? Not Endura, Altura or a third one I can't remember until I get home (dare2b or dhb probably.

I use Spesh shorts, they don't cut me in two but then I'm hung like a Chinese mouse.

OP: I'm going to try some chamois cream tomorrow, it'll be the first ever time that I've tried any. I see that it divides opinion but I've got a challenge coming up and I'm looking for any way to be at least potentially that bit more comfortable. For what it's worth it's "Strip" anti chafing cream I'll be using, and it smells very pleasant so if nothing else, my biffin's bridge will be minty fresh.

Goggs

Guru
I used chamois cream (Elite Ozone) for the very first time last week. As far as I can tell it made no difference whatsoever. YMMV.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Cream can help prevent chafing and infection (rashes). I only use it on long rides (more than 600km) unless I'm racing in which case I'd possibly use it for a 100, a 12, and definitely for a 24.

sneaky beaky

Bought a cheapish £15-20 quid padded shorts and felt some improvement whilst training for hard (for me) ride, always had discomfort after about 30mile or so but just thought that's part of the deal....last week, took a chance on some £60 quidish bib shorts from castelli

This weekend did a near 70miler (1st sportive) and had no discomfort at all, during or after the ride. I was dreading the usual discomfort, but none - nothing, well..not from that area anyway.

my point is, maybe don't persevere too long if the gear you get is uncomfortable, maybe try other stuff ££££££'s argghhh!

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Classic CycleChat beginners advice there, "use cream if you are doing a ride of over 600 kilometers"

;)
600kms ride??? I take the car if I go that far and by the way, avoid the M6 in Birmingham or you will never get there .:hello:

adamangler

Veteran
Good qualty bibs are paramount, more important than saddle imo.

I suffered with saddle sores a lot when i first started, tried various anti-chaffing creams but still got them

In the end i found sudacream the best, i dont think its the anti-chaffing that helps i think its the antiseptic effect that protects your skin from getting sores

Kosong

I just bought my first pair of padded shorts today. I've heard all sorts about online sizing so we shall see when they arrive, I also never wear shorts (I'm a long legging & 3/4 length girl) so I'll be trialing them with some leggings over the top. Am looking forward to seeing if they make a difference!

I never get saddle pain on the first day of riding, however long, but the second day seems to be where things start hurting towards the end of the riding day, then 3rd day onwards is pure pain. Did a 4 day ride recently and when I got home inspected 'down there' and it seemed to be chafing causing the surface irritation and very sore sitting bones causing the real pain. bought a gel seat cover on the third day which really helped but by that point the damage had been done.

Am heading out for a few days on the bike some time in the next week, will be rotating my shorts and gel seat to see what helps the most. Also bought some chamois cream as it was on offer on wiggle, i don't ever want that butt pain again!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
If the OP is talking of shorts rather than bib shorts my first piece of advice would be try bib shorts next time. The improvement in comfort through not having a waistband and keeping male parts in a comfortable position is significant.

My view is once you find a style and brand which are comfortable stick with them. I've been wearing Assos F1 Mille for 12 years. At around £140 they are horrifically expensive but a pair usually last three years - two as shorts and one winter under bib longs. These are now out of production but still available direct from Assos so I bought two pairs last week. I'll be 68 next time I need bibs!!

Personally I feel a cream is excellent for long rides in high temperatures. For me that's 80 miles plus. Sudocrem applied to inner thigh and between the legs round to the top of the cheeks. The main benefit is to create a barrier which prevents sweat causing a skin irritation. It will also stop chaffing at the top of the thighs. It's cheap and if it's good for babies must be fine for hairy arsed cyclists!!

I'd suggest to those who are hoping shorts will relieve pain or discomfort to look at saddle position. Poor saddle position will cause more pain than will be solved by shorts.

Quality shorts are the single most important item of cycle clothing - IMO. The only more expensive clothing I own is my one suit!!

GuyBoden

Guru
If you have to go out for a ride and have sore parts try Germoloids. Numbs, soothes, an antiseptic and doesn't shrink testicles/penis................

419USbdL5OL.jpg

Edit: Sorry forgot, it's good for piles too.........

Top Bottom