New to road cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris Swift

Hi all

Ordered a Triban 5 road bike from decathlon under the cycle to work scheme. My commute is around 15 miles each way. I've been out over the past 6 months on my mountain bike rockrider 8.1 I think and lost 3 stone.

I plan on cycling the coast to Coast next May with a few lads from work.

It may be a stupid question but do the gears work the same way as on a mountain bike on a road bike?

I've got a hamlet, and a back pack with hydration system.

I've ordered a high vis jacket, lights.

I don't need a bike lock yet as my bike will be stored either in my office or a stock cupboard.

I assume these road bikes have inatubes so I would need to purchase a few spare..... What other accessories do you recommend I should invest in ?

Your help is always appreciated.

Regards

Chris Swift

Kies

Inner tubes 23-28 x 700
A decent mini pump to take with you.
Set of tyre levers.
Track pump at home to check tyre pressures accurately.
Helmet - your choice
Gloves with padding - definitely

As above plus lights if you are commuting each day and perhaps a cam to capture everything.

Gears work on same principle but are usually higher geared for speed so you may find your legs hurt more on the big chain ring at the front the first few times but you will get used to it.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Hello! Good choice of bike too, excellent value they are.

The gears work on exactly the same principle, just the shifters are different and the ratios are higher. The T5 has Sora shifters, so you push the whole brake lever inwards to move up the cassette and push the small lever behind the brake to drop back down.

All stock road bikes use tyres with tubes, any 700c 18-28mm tubes will work fine, always worth having a couple of spares. Otherwise, a multitool (you may already have this for the MTB) and a mini pump, tyre levers.

Padded shorts are A Good Thing for road bikes, though you may find that it's not so comfortable to use the hydration pack on the road bike. A couple of bottle cages and 750ml bottles is better.

Otherwise, get out and enjoy it :biggrin:

OP
OP
Chris Swift

Chris Swift

Hey guys

Thank you very much for your quick responses. I shall take all on board and purchase what is required.

Do you recommend any cams or just a box standard cheap and cheerfully small camcorder do if can mount some how?

Thanks for the information on the gears, understand bit more on them now. Will def get water bottles and some spare tubes. - slime inner tubes sounds good to me...... Give me a computer and I'll fix it ( I work in the Ict field as a senior Ict technician) give me a few tools etc and takes me a bit longer lol....

That's me off to work again!

Thanks guys

ceejayh

The only thing I could add is make sure you have a spare set of lights, particularly at the back because you won't know if one goes while you're out and about.

I've got an Aldi special and just put a Blackburn Mars 4.0 on my seat post. I've already got a Cree for the front and just waiting for a second one to be delivered.

You didn't say what lights you've already got but you need to have a think about whether you want to see or be seen, i.e. will you be cycling on unlit roads or well lit ones.

I can only reiterate on what someone said earlier about what you wear covering your backside...invest in some decent bib shorts or tights - I did and it's definately worth the investment (Polaris 3 Quartz bib tights for me). I went from a crappy mountain to a decent (for me) road bike and the difference in the saddles is errr.....noticeable!!

OP
OP
Chris Swift

Chris Swift

Thanks Vickster will do.

Ceejayh - Is the Aldi equipment any good? id rarther spend an extra few £ and stuff last, im starting to become a perrson that thinks you get what you pay for.

Not sure about which lights i ordered with the bike so shall check this out, there is a B road on my commute which is not lit and this road is about 4-5 miles long, i think ideally i need to be seen.

Silly question but do you wear stuff over the top of the Polaris 3 Quartz bib tights or not?

Chris

ceejayh

Thanks Vickster will do.

Ceejayh - Is the Aldi equipment any good? id rarther spend an extra few £ and stuff last, im starting to become a perrson that thinks you get what you pay for.

Not sure about which lights i ordered with the bike so shall check this out, there is a B road on my commute which is not lit and this road is about 4-5 miles long, i think ideally i need to be seen.

Silly question but do you wear stuff over the top of the Polaris 3 Quartz bib tights or not?

Chris

Chris

The Aldi lights came as a front/rear set. The front one is OK as a standby but fortunately for me, the bracket is compatible with a Cree torch I already had. So I'll be using my Cree instead as it blows the Aldi one out of the water!! If you search these forums for Cree torches - a lot of people have a lot of good things to say about them. For the money (less than £10) they are excellent for unlit or low lit roads/paths. The Aldi rear light is pretty good though - it's basic but it throws out some decent light and it has 3 modes (constant, strobe (which is quite cool!! and flashing).

Regarding the bib tights, so far I've just worn a full zip jersey over the top when the weather has been warm enough but last Saturday I put my Aldi compression layer underneath my tights with the full zip layer over the top and it was just right as it was a bit breezy along part of my route.

Don't be afraid of asking any questions on here - I only started out a few weeks ago myself and everyone has been really friendly and helpful.

Koga

All above are valid comments, take from it what you think is most suitable, buy it and go out and try your new gear. After a while you will notice if you need anything else or slightly different. My guess is that you will find clothing the most challenging as there is a fine line in cycling between cold and overheating (all related to wind / speed and weather) !
Good luck.

Top Bottom