New to road cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
All above are valid comments, take from it what you think is most suitable, buy it and go out and try your new gear. After a while you will notice if you need anything else or slightly different. My guess is that you will find clothing the most challenging as there is a fine line in cycling between cold and overheating (all related to wind / speed and weather) !
Good luck.
I came across a saying sometime back, dress as you want to be after 10 mins on the bike, not how it feels before you set off, I guess knowing this comes with experience.

Yip, I tend to under dress as I dont like to overheat and carry armwarmers, legwarmers, gilet or jacket as appropriate. Unless I know I am going puposely slow like the weekends ride to recce hill climbs then I wear the stuff from the start.

Koga

Yip, I tend to under dress as I dont like to overheat and carry armwarmers, legwarmers, gilet or jacket as appropriate. Unless I know I am going puposely slow like the weekends ride to recce hill climbs then I wear the stuff from the start.
I do the same but it takes a bit of experience to estimate the conditions of the day.

vickster

Legendary Member
For 99% of people (at a guess) yes definitely but I have met a few folk who claim they are much more comfortable with out them :thumbsup:
I wea gloves as I want my palms protected in case of a fall! With my big off, they were very bruised but at least not full of gravel and crap

MikeW-71

Veteran
If you want to use a camera, you can't go wrong with a GoPro. Small, light, waterproof and excellent image quality. Lots of mounts available for it too, it's what I use.

What one you got mike? I'm tempted but they ain't cheap. Where do you mount it?

MikeW-71

Veteran
I have a HD Hero (first one) and it's been brilliant for 3 years now. On the road bike I mount it on the bars with a K-Edge mount, on MTB I use a helmet mount.

OP
OP
Chris Swift

Chris Swift

Guys...... What can I say.... WOW your responses have been awesome!

I have posted on other forums stuff (not bike related) and got no responses.... I like the fact that even tho my questions have seemed basic you guys responded with excellent advise..;. Thank you!

The triban 5 pedals.... Should I change these for clip in peddles and get shoes that clip in? Do mist of you use these?

Chris

MikeW-71

Veteran
The triban 5 pedals.... Should I change these for clip in peddles and get shoes that clip in? Do mist of you use these?
I had similar pedals on my first Giant and I used them for the first 2 months before changing to clipless. There's nothing wrong with them and they will do 90% of the job of clipless pedals by keeping your feet from moving about. I've seen plenty of riders at Sportives using clips and straps.

I had clips before going clipless, possible why I haven't had many problems unclipping. I would never go back as they were quite difficult to get right in the dark.

Top Bottom