New toy bought today .Garmin 520 and not happy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Yep - it's the meatware rather than the hardware or software.
Perhaps you can tell me why i kept loosing signal, and my wifes one kept stopping halfway through a ride, What am i doing wrong, we went through all the ways to set it up, you obviously know something i don't. please tell me what am i doing wrong.

fatjel

Veteran
I’ve done 39,182.3 km with Garmins
only problem I have ever had was losing signal on an edge 200 310km into a ride.
520 has never missed a beat
They seem OK to me
That said I do use two mostly. Just in case

Perhaps you can tell me why i kept loosing signal, and my wifes one kept stopping halfway through a ride, What am i doing wrong, we went through all the ways to set it up, you obviously know something i don't. please tell me what am i doing wrong.

If you unit is not recieving the radio signal from the GPS Satellite,s it will lock up, different makes will handle the problem differently. Different makes of GPS use different GPS chips and antenna's, some being more effecient that others at detecting a poor signal, one other factor is that about 12:30 ish UTC(GMT) the US carry out data updates to some of its Satellites, which can effect the ablity of a GPS unit to get a correct reading for a short period of time.

Very interesting @Ticktockmy . My 810 sometimes throws a wobbler in tunnels / underpasses /buildings which I put down to it losing the GPS signal. In fact I usually leave it out of view in a pannier if I need to enter a building. Sometimes it sorts its self out and sometimes it just freezes and fails to give turn by turn instructions and fails to record my track. This seems to persist even though, on interrogation, it has re-found satellites. Didn't know about the data updates having a similar effect though.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
If you unit is not recieving the radio signal from the GPS Satellite,s it will lock up, different makes will handle the problem differently. Different makes of GPS use different GPS chips and antenna's, some being more effecient that others at detecting a poor signal, one other factor is that about 12:30 ish UTC(GMT) the US carry out data updates to some of its Satellites, which can effect the ablity of a GPS unit to get a correct reading for a short period of time.
I know that was asking User after his sarky comment.

I have been using a Garmin Edge 25 and then a Garmin Edge 520. Both have performed well but I am having problems with FTP figures which are different on Connect, my iPhone and the 520. My actual FTP is 161 watts which is what shows on my 520 but my Connect software shows an FTP of 262 which was set when I was calibrating a Power Pod. As I knew I wasn't producing massive power figures, something had to be wrong. I can find no way of deleting this figure from my Reports section.
I had to reset my Edge a few days ago and it has set the FTP at 200 (default figure?). This is making my TSS and IF figures lower than they ought to be which is frustrating. I am not involved in any competition (except with myself) and I am using the measurements to try to attain a reasonable level of fitness for my age (73). I find myself being irritated with the Garmin and having three different FTP values is confusing. I have set the correct one in Connect and synced many times but the FTP remains different in all three programmes.
Would Strava be better at recording my efforts or should I change from Garmin to another device in an attempt to get some consistency? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Top Bottom