New toy bought today .Garmin 520 and not happy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bianchi1

Guru
My 520 started to shut of after about 20 minutes into every ride for no reason a couple of weeks ago. I did a factory reset but it continued to play up, but only on my 'best bike'. The only variable could be my Garmin vector 3 pedals causing the issue. Sure enough, a 5 minute online chat on the Garmin website and an easy software fix talk through and my 520 is working perfectly again.

Leaway2

Lycrist
Lezyne Super enhanced GPS here for 80 quid. Only had it a few weeks but it does the job. I wonder what the what the next generation will be called Lezyne super duper enhanced GPS.
The website looks like it was designed as a school project, but I tend not to use it.

It should just work, if you're having to improvise cables etc then go for a replacement.

810 user here and I have a love hate relationship with it. When it works, its very very good, when it crashes / freezes / switches its self off its horrid. Fortunately, and I hope it's not listening, since I did a hard reset and firmware update its been, shh, OK.

When people say they've never had a problem with Garmin units, I believe them, but they generally don't say what usage they put their units to. It seems when using the turn by turn navigation function most problems occur, so if its just being used for recording and display of data then chances of experiencing problems are reduced. My brother has a 1000 and it's fine until he tries to use turn by turn, then it crashes and is unusable.

If I were to lose mine tomorrow, it's replacement would most likely be a Wahoo.

Crankarm

Guru
I have an Edge 1000 that has been ok. The only issue has been the temp readout that I don't find that accurate, out by a couple of degrees. I emailed Garmin who were no help telling me wearing it against my skin can give a false reading. Errrr it's a cycle computer and it is mounted on my bike's handle bars. I also have a Fenix 3 which has been pretty good except it will only charge from USB NOT from mains which is a real PITA when I am away from home.

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
Update .
Took the broken 520 back . They still didnt have the bolt in stock or i would have swaped it for that . They did ask if i wanted a refund or replacement . I took the replacement and had them open it and check it was working perfectly before leaving .
So the original must have just been a faulty one . Either way I'm happy agian

<snip> it does depend on which format you upload the data file in. I can’t remember which format I use (I’ll check when I get home tomorrow) but it just works. I do know the other format you can upload in is very shaky...
Thanks. I'm very interested in learning what does and does not work, as my brother has spent a chunk of his hard earned on a unit that simply fails to perform on t b t.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
The main difference is the Wahoo is easier to follow when using routes, The mapping is basic, it only shows what you need to see, so a quick glance is all you need.

KenDave

Regular
I can't say I've had any problems navigating with my Edge 520 either. Mine only shows what I need to see too. (No street names or other clutter).

Top Bottom