New tyres time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

migrantwing

Veteran
Currently running Schwalbe Durano S (Slick) on the front and Standard Durano on the back. Excellent tyres. They've lasted for ages, despite a few cuts, never had a p******e, but want to try something different...and cheaper. Also want to try 25mm as opposed to the Schwalbe 23mm. Would try Schwalbe One but the price puts me off as I don't race or anything. Basically commuting and longer recreational rides.

Are Continental Ultra Sport II or III any good? Quite like the look of them.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If you are commuting then I would stick with what you have.
Continental tyres are puncture magnets.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Rubino Pro's did fine for me to, as did the Vittoria's that went before them.

But I'm running Gatorksins on one bike which has escaped a visit so far and which despite the naysayers I like, and Giant Gavia AC's on the other which had a visit last weekend. Mind you, I reckon that shard of glass would have gotten through pretty much anything...

tyred

Legendary Member
To be fair, Continental do decent tyres too. I'm pleased with the Tour Ride on the rear of my touring bike; over 2,000 miles so far without a puncture but I must admit I'd never have bought it (given my experience of the Ultrasports) other than the fact that it was a distress purchase during a tour when I suffered a split tyre and it was the only 700 x 32c tyre the shop I went into had in stock.

Alan O

Über Member
Are Continental Ultra Sport II or III any good? Quite like the look of them.

I've got a pair of Ultra Sport II, and I think they're fair value at the kind of offer prices you can often get them for. They seem reasonably light and feel ok, but they really don't have much in the way of puncture protection.

bpsmith

Veteran
Ultrasport II’s came with one of my bikes. Had 2 visits from the fairy during my short time using them. GP4000’s before that saw them get worn out at 4,700 miles with out any.

Vittoria Corsa’s are my current choice. Great tyres.

Alan O

Über Member
Ultrasport II’s came with one of my bikes. Had 2 visits from the fairy during my short time using them. GP4000’s before that saw them get worn out at 4,700 miles with out any.
But you can get Ultrasport IIs for about a third of the price of GP4000s - you get what you pay for, and if you want cheap tyres then Ultrasports seem decent value to me.

Top Bottom