New tyres time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
But you can get Ultrasport IIs for about a third of the price of GP4000s - you get what you pay for, and if you want cheap tyres then Ultrasports seem decent value to me.
Two parts to that statement. Price, and value.

Ultrasport ‘s are online for £12.99. GP4000S for £54.99 including 2 tubes. Those are the first proper few in comparison page called Bikesy. Thats less than two to one, not factoring the tubes in.

Value is harder to quantify. I had two punctures in less than 200 miles. 4,700 without any on the others. More importantly for me, the grip was my main motivator, or lack of. I like to corner and descend fast and I had a good number of occasions where the tyres didn’t cope and grip was minimal. For me, that was the deal breaker, value wise, with punctures as the clincher (no pun intended). I generally ride for pleasure, so a puncture is inconvenient, but for commuting it will matter a whole lot more.

The value element will vary for others, so my points may or may not matter, dependent on requirements. That’s where the perception of value comes in.

Alan O

Über Member
Two parts to that statement. Price, and value.

Ultrasport ‘s are online for £12.99. GP4000S for £54.99 including 2 tubes. Those are the first proper few in comparison page called Bikesy. Thats less than two to one, not factoring the tubes in.

Value is harder to quantify. I had two punctures in less than 200 miles. 4,700 without any on the others. More importantly for me, the grip was my main motivator, or lack of. I like to corner and descend fast and I had a good number of occasions where the tyres didn’t cope and grip was minimal. For me, that was the deal breaker, value wise, with punctures as the clincher (no pun intended). I generally ride for pleasure, so a puncture is inconvenient, but for commuting it will matter a whole lot more.

The value element will vary for others, so my points may or may not matter, dependent on requirements. That’s where the perception of value comes in.
I saw Ultrasport at £9.99 somewhere - can't remember where, and I paid £11, I think, for mine (which, admittedly, aren't being used at the moment). And I was basing GP4000S on the £65 I just paid for a pair including tubes - I should have known someone would find them cheaper :smile:

You're right about value, certainly, and it all depends on the amount and style of cycing one does.

Last edited:

Alan O

Über Member
When you are standing at the side of the road trying to swap a tube over with sore back, cold hands and soaking wet will you gladly pay the difference you saved to wave a magic wand not be in that situation.
True, but if you're a summer pleasure cyclist who doesn't go out in the cold and wet, and who isn't bothered about fixing the occasional puncture on a nice sunny day (and to whom, perhaps, the price difference is significant - as it is with many), well... you've got to tune your idea of a good price to what you want to do with the goods.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ha, yes, that's a good point - but I patch tubes until the patches need patching.
I don’t think I’ve ever yet killed a tube in a repairable way! I also have more valve problems, splits around the valves (some ham fisted snapped or bent valves, and partly Continental crap flying valve cores!!)

I don’t think I’ve spent more than £20 on a tyre, other than the horrible Marathon pluses (no punctures but they were so horrid to ride, I’d rather have the odd puncture)

That point above from @vickster is so important. There is a very significant difference in "feel" between tyres. Choose the ones that feel right to you. Some tyres you will enjoy riding on, some you won't.

You get punctures by riding over invisible sharp things in the road. I don't think what tyre you choose makes much difference.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Michelin Power Endurance?
Or get the Pro Ones from one of the German e-tailers where they are significantly cheaper. I've been using the Tubeless version in 28mm on my best bike and they are very good indeed, much nicer feel than the Duranos, and no, I don't race either!

Whether or not Contis are puncture magnets I don't know - but I won't touch 'em with a barge pole, because IME most of them are a right PITA to get on and off the rim. Schwalbes are OK for this, Michelin are mostly dead easy, even if you have weak thumbs/crap levers.

Alan O

Über Member
Whether or not Contis are puncture magnets I don't know - but I won't touch 'em with a barge pole, because IME most of them are a right PITA to get on and off the rim.
Interesting. I have Gatorskins, GP4000s and Ultrasports, and I've found them all easy to get on and off.

iluvmybike

Über Member
I have Conti GP4000IIs on both of my road bikes which run year round and in last 5 yrs I have only had 1 p***t*** and that was my own fault as I hit the edge of a pothole

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
Thanks for all the replies, guys 'n' gals :okay:

I'll do some more research before purchasing. As I said in my OP, I'd stick with the Durano slick, but they only come in 23mm, and want to try 25mm for the comfort factor (if I'll feel any difference at all). Maybe I'll just opt for standard Durano's.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Thanks for all the replies, guys 'n' gals :okay:

I'll do some more research before purchasing. As I said in my OP, I'd stick with the Durano slick, but they only come in 23mm, and want to try 25mm for the comfort factor (if I'll feel any difference at all). Maybe I'll just opt for standard Durano's.

You won't notice any difference between the 23's and 25's.
If you need more comfort then inflate them to less PSI.

Top Bottom