New Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
but could i get a rim that i could do tubeless on
Yes but 2 new wheels and tyres won’t be cheap. Maybe someone else can help with costings as I have no idea.
Why not just ride your bike as it is?

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

I'm down south (Englandshire) now but when I lived in Edinburgh the Bike Co OP was a good shout as it was well stocked and there was a few other shops in the area. But Brunstfield may be tricky for you to get to. That Happy Biking in Uphall may be easier. Good luck :-)
so which one would be the best do you reckon?

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

Yes but 2 new wheels and tyres won’t be cheap. Maybe someone else can help with costings as I have no idea.
Why not just ride your bike as it is?
because getting tubeless and then putting slime in, means u will never get a puncture again. See, thats a brainy one🤣

so which one would be the best do you reckon?
What ever one works for you.

CXRAndy

Guru
Hi
does it feel different to go from tube tyres to tubeless?
Also, when u put slime in the tyres, what happens if u ever get a puncture or flat tyre one day?

Yes they are more supple, smoother to ride.
The sealant, in most cases weeps out of the hole sealing the puncture. In the case of a big cut or tear(rare occasion) then an inner tube will be needed. But bear in mind its rare

Im of the differing opinion, any wheel that uses a inner tube can be converted to tubeless.

Some say its a messy affair going tubeless. I say its not and the benefits far outweigh the initial setup.

You sound a little inexperienced though, so I would stick to inner tube s and read up on tubeless for a future tyre swap

boydj

Legendary Member
at halfords, ive googled tubeless tyres and it came up with something like between £20 upwards or something

Unless you have tubeless-ready rims on your wheels, then it's not worth the effort to go tubeless as there is a lot of cost and effort involved, and no guarantee of success for gains that are not much more than marginal. Wait at least until your current tyres need to be replaced, then consider tubeless.

I have tubeless on one bike, and I've even been able to reseat a tyre after a rim replacement, but it's not something a relatively inexperienced cyclist should be doing. Tubeless tyres do provide a better riding experience, but they're not so much better that you should replace good tyres and tubes with plenty of life in them.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
He’s wanting to upgrade his Carrera Vulcan.

Ah. Even still it's a lot to spend going tubeless. Unless he's hitting trail centres and proper off piste stuff, I wouldn't bother.

My son's Carrera Vengeance is pretty stock other than hand me down Michelin tyres from my old MTB

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This had me confused:- :whistle:

"I have ripped my tyres of my old mtb because they are knackered and are wanting to get some new ones.
My MTB is trax, 24inch wheels, and wondering whether i would have to get trax tyres or whether i could get a different make of tyres but same size. "

Top Bottom