New Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MonsterEnergy

Hi
I am wanting to upgrade my Tyres on Carrera Vulcan Hardtail MTB, but wondering how to remove the back wheel so i can change the tyre.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Probably easier to watch a YouTube video than explain and understand.

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

Look here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pnbJ64zvME

You will either have a quick-release or need a spanner if there's a nut instead. If it's not disc brake either let the tyre down or unclip the V-brake to get the tyre past the brakes.

i have a quick release like i do on the front, but just thinking of the chain and everything else next to it. What happens with that.
Or, do u literally just do the quick release and slide it out like the front?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
i have a quick release like i do on the front, but just thinking of the chain and everything else next to it. What happens with that.
Or, do u literally just do the quick release and slide it out like the front?

Put it in the highest gear at the back, lowest at the front so you've a lot of chain slack
Undo the quick release and slide the wheel out; the chain should be loose enough to simply move past the quick release and the rear derailleur

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Put it in the highest gear at the back, lowest at the front so you've a lot of chain slack
Undo the quick release and slide the wheel out; the chain should be loose enough to simply move past the quick release and the rear derailleur
Probably, but you may have to push the bottom wheel of the derailleur (or the frame around it) down and then back (it moves in an arc below the top wheel) for the wheel to drop down and out on some bikes. Hang the saddle nose from something secure to keep the back end off the ground while you work on the back wheel. Or lie it down on the non-chain side. Never rest or drop the bike on its derailleur as that way expensive bending can result.

Make sure you refix the quick release lever correctly as shown in youtube videos. Parktools is a good repair website.

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

I have ripped my tyres of my old mtb because they are knackered and are wanting to get some new ones.
My MTB is trax, 24inch wheels, and wondering whether i would have to get trax tyres or whether i could get a different make of tyres but same size.

Anyone help me please
Thanks

Top Bottom