New tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chfp77

Was wondering if anyone had any idea what the biggest tyre i could put on my trek 1000 road bike. It currently has 700x23's on but i want a beefier tyre on. Had a bad crash a while ago when the front end slid away,so looking for a bigger tyre for a bit more confidence. Have been riding my mountain bike,but miss the road bike. Any help would be great. Thanks!!

rusky

CC Addict
What tyres are on there at the moment?

bottombracket

Hi chfp
If my memory serves me right its something like - rim internal width X 1.8...
e.g 17mm X 1.8 = approx 30/31mm

Get the tape measure out.

Also depends on clearance through brakes & stays.

Hope that helps

PpPete

Legendary Member
Trouble is, beefier tyres often have more "tread" pattern... and you end up with less total rubber on the road.
Try a 25mm slick for a little more confidence without it being a "touring" tyre?

threefingerjoe

Über Member
porkypete said:
Trouble is, beefier tyres often have more "tread" pattern... and you end up with less total rubber on the road.
Try a 25mm slick for a little more confidence without it being a "touring" tyre?

Wellllll....you can get some pretty wide slicks. I run 35-622 on my commuter, and 42-559 on the rear of my recumbent.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
porkypete said:

25c is probably the largest for your rims. Will give marginally more contact area than a 23c.
Tread is of no value on a road bike (in fact it gives less grip not more).
Slightly lower tyre pressures will give more grip (I always run the front 5psi lower than the rear).
BUT
At the end of the day, a tyres grip is down to the rubber compound in contact with the road and this can vary widely. Softer compounds grip better but wear quicker. My 23c Pro-Race 3's are grippier than a grippy thing, but they'll not last long. My winter 25c Krylions are harder wearing, but less grippy and I hate them in the wet.

If you can afford them, Pro-race 3's are pretty amazing grip-wise in 23c, rain or shine. Light and fast rolling too!

OP
OP
chfp77

chfp77

Thanks for the help guys,did use Schwable stelvios on my Focus,and had no probs with them. Was just using the Bontrager select's that came with the trek. So a sticky 23-25 would be ok? Someone gave me some new Continental Super Sports,anyone know how good/bad a tyre they are??

Top Bottom