New wheel fitted by LBS - now it feels like I'm riding through treacle.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
New wheel was a bottom end of the market Shimano wheel (about 70 quid)
What exact (if you know) model of hub, please? Or maybe a link if you bought it online.
This one? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-rs11-road-rear-wheel/rp-prod112040

Tin Pot

Guru
My experience with similar symptoms had fixes already posted above.

I have noticed that wheel rub against brakes or frame is sometimes only visible under riding conditions not on the stand.

Release wheel, reseat wheel, lean shoulder on saddle, tighten QR. From same position Lift and spin wheel, observe any fluctuations, correct, if satisfied - ride.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Are the bearing cups so tight they are stopping it rotating freely ?
Cup n cone or cartridge bearings ?
I would have thought that tight cones and bearings would show up
RS11s "The hub uses angular contact bearings designed to cradle the balls giving both radial and lateral support for superior strength and durability in real world riding conditions. They also offer precision bearing adjustment and easy maintenance" Proper cup and cone bearings.
it would point to the loading on the axle bearings when being ridden as at fault
Most likely (as several others have said - try a less tight QR). I'd also be tempted to look at the bearings and push a bit more grease in, however 'dry' they aren't.
If the wheels spin under the weight of the valve when it is in the ten or two o'clock position there is nothing wrong with them. Try that.
Has the OP done this test? Then replicate (for assurance) with the bike the right way up (ie lifting the rear wheel off the ground/floor).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Something peculiar I've just noticed, when I turn the hub axle (the bit with the QR skewer on the end) with my hands, clockwise it's fine but anticlockwise it will catch and suddenly become tighter, every 4 or 5 revolutions.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Take it back , fitted by LBS but not right .
My plan is use it over the weekend, and if there's no change, I'm definitely taking it back on Monday. I want to be sure first, I've a reputation to protect :okay:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have some rs 11s , decent wheels for the price .Now as back up pair but did have them on the old boardman
rs 11 wheels.jpg

Top Bottom