New wheel fitted by LBS - now it feels like I'm riding through treacle.

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Welsh wheels, 23 Feb 2018.

Tags:
  1. Katherine

Katherine Guru Moderator

I had mine done up too tight once and it did make riding harder work.

2. Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay Veteran

What exact (if you know) model of hub, please? Or maybe a link if you bought it online.
    This one? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-rs11-road-rear-wheel/rp-prod112040

Welsh wheels likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels Lycra king

4. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Guru

My experience with similar symptoms had fixes already posted above.

I have noticed that wheel rub against brakes or frame is sometimes only visible under riding conditions not on the stand.

Release wheel, reseat wheel, lean shoulder on saddle, tighten QR. From same position Lift and spin wheel, observe any fluctuations, correct, if satisfied - ride.

Welsh wheels likes this.
  5. Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay Veteran

RS11s "The hub uses angular contact bearings designed to cradle the balls giving both radial and lateral support for superior strength and durability in real world riding conditions. They also offer precision bearing adjustment and easy maintenance" Proper cup and cone bearings.
    Most likely (as several others have said - try a less tight QR). I'd also be tempted to look at the bearings and push a bit more grease in, however 'dry' they aren't.
    Has the OP done this test? Then replicate (for assurance) with the bike the right way up (ie lifting the rear wheel off the ground/floor).

Last edited: 24 Feb 2018
    Welsh wheels likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels Lycra king

Something peculiar I've just noticed, when I turn the hub axle (the bit with the QR skewer on the end) with my hands, clockwise it's fine but anticlockwise it will catch and suddenly become tighter, every 4 or 5 revolutions.

7. screenman

screenman Legendary Member

Has the wind direction changed, think how much difference a tighter bearing would make, percentage wise compared with everything else very little indeed.

Illaveago and Welsh wheels like this.
  8. cyberknight

cyberknight Bullied off cc

Take it back , fitted by LBS but not right .

9. OP
    OP
    Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels Lycra king

My plan is use it over the weekend, and if there's no change, I'm definitely taking it back on Monday. I want to be sure first, I've a reputation to protect :okay:

10. screenman

If the wheel spins freely and the clearences are fine I would say it is the engine.

Illaveago and Welsh wheels like this.
  11. cyberknight

cyberknight Bullied off cc

I have some rs 11s , decent wheels for the price .Now as back up pair but did have them on the old boardman
    rs 11 wheels.jpg

Welsh wheels likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels Lycra king

Just come back from a ride and didn't have any problems today

13. screenman

In that case you had a mystery visit from the bad day on a bike fairy, we all have them, some more often than others.

14. OP
    OP
    Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels Lycra king

Or something was a bit stiff to start and it's just loosened up with riding

Katherine likes this.
  15. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

Your legs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice