New wheel fitted by LBS - now it feels like I'm riding through treacle.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Has the wind direction changed...
I was wondering if a moderate unfavourable wind was the problem. Strong winds are pretty obvious, but more subtle ones can still make the going tougher.

... think how much difference a tighter bearing would make, percentage wise compared with everything else very little indeed.
I would have said so too, until I overtightened the QR on my MTB's rear wheel after putting a big chunky knobbly tyre on. I noticed the 'riding through treacle' effect immediately but put it down to the aggressive tread on the tyre. It was only when I put the bike on my stand and tried spinning the back wheel that I realised that something else was to blame. With a lot of effort I could spin the wheel up to speed, but it would only rotate about 1/10th turn once I stopped turning the cranks. After I adjusted the QR properly the problem went away. The tyre actually rolls pretty well!

screenman

Legendary Member
I was wondering if a moderate unfavourable wind was the problem. Strong winds are pretty obvious, but more subtle ones can still make the going tougher.

I would have said so too, until I overtightened the QR on my MTB's rear wheel after putting a big chunky knobbly tyre on. I noticed the 'riding through treacle' effect immediately but put it down to the aggressive tread on the tyre. It was only when I put the bike on my stand and tried spinning the back wheel that I realised that something else was to blame. With a lot of effort I could spin the wheel up to speed, but it would only rotate about 1/10th turn once I stopped turning the cranks. After I adjusted the QR properly the problem went away. The tyre actually rolls pretty well!

He said the wheel spun freely, which is why I suggested others things.

chriscross1966

Über Member
I wouldn't want to be the one who gave any encouragement to that little ache within you that is suggesting you get a new bike:whistle:.

n+1 solves all problems....

ColinJ

I have my CX bike upside down in the kitchen (so I could fix a front wheel puncture) and I just noticed that the back wheel was not spinning properly. With the QR done up very tight the wheel only freewheels for a couple of revolutions after a good spin of the cranks. I adjusted the QR to a reduced tension and repeated the test ... the wheel then span for about 30 revs before coming to a stop. There is still a bit too much friction there (which I will look into later) but it does show that QR tension CAN affect friction in a hub.

Tim Hall

I have my CX bike upside down in the kitchen (so I could fix a front wheel puncture) and I just noticed that the back wheel was not spinning properly. With the QR done up very tight the wheel only freewheels for a couple of revolutions after a good spin of the cranks. I adjusted the QR to a reduced tension and repeated the test ... the wheel then span for about 30 revs before coming to a stop. There is still a bit too much friction there (which I will look into later) but it does show that QR tension CAN affect friction in a hub.
Rather than a too tight QR, I think it's badly (too tight) adjusted bearings. The compressive forces of a properly tight QR cause the bearings to bind. Same effect but look to your bearings rather than your QR. This assumes you have cup and cone bearings.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Rather than a too tight QR, I think it's badly (too tight) adjusted bearings. The compressive forces of a properly tight QR cause the bearings to bind. Same effect but look to your bearings rather than your QR. This assumes you have cup and cone bearings.
Agreed. Needs slight play when the qr is open so that when compressed they come into correct adjustment.

ColinJ

Agreed. Needs slight play when the qr is open so that when compressed they come into correct adjustment.
Thanks. I will take a good look at the bike in the morning.

PS When I said the QR was 'very tight', I think it was actually 'tight enough'. When I loosened it to get the wheel spinning better, I'd say that it was then possibly 'not quite tight enough'. I certainly wouldn't be confident that I could stand up for a steep climb and not pull the rear wheel out of the dropouts!

Last edited:
Top Bottom