New wheel fitted by LBS - now it feels like I'm riding through treacle.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will Spin

Über Member
I think it's due to a cheap wheel, you need to spend at least £400.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I think it's due to a cheap wheel, you need to spend at least £400.

This is just a load of elitist claptrap. You DON'T need to spend £400+ on a bicycle wheel in order for it to turn freely! The amount of BS spoken about the supposed extra performance of costly bits vs cheaper bits in cycling circles is beyond belief. The only difference between a cheap and expensive hub is the expensive one will probably have a better surface finish and the bearings may be of a higher grade regards their sizing tolerances. The difference in frictional drag is going to be tiny, and irrelevant to anyone except a top class competitive cyclist. I've spent over 2 hours today riding around on a 25 year old cheap & heavy Apollo rigid MTB, fitted with 2" wide knobbly tyres, wearing size 11 safety work boots and a hi-vis overcoat. And I weigh over 14 stone. The whole bike would have not cost much more than £100 new, let alone one wheel! I'm not drenched in sweat and the bike rolled fine considering the type of tyres.

screenman

Legendary Member
This is just a load of elitist claptrap. You DON'T need to spend £400+ on a bicycle wheel in order for it to turn freely! The amount of BS spoken about the supposed extra performance of costly bits vs cheaper bits in cycling circles is beyond belief. The only difference between a cheap and expensive hub is the expensive one will probably have a better surface finish and the bearings may be of a higher grade regards their sizing tolerances. The difference in frictional drag is going to be tiny, and irrelevant to anyone except a top class competitive cyclist. I've spent over 2 hours today riding around on a 25 year old cheap & heavy Apollo rigid MTB, fitted with 2" wide knobbly tyres, wearing size 11 safety work boots and a hi-vis overcoat. And I weigh over 14 stone. The whole bike would have not cost much more than £100 new, let alone one wheel! I'm not drenched in sweat and the bike rolled fine considering the type of tyres.

I think you may have missed the humour in the post.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Maybe your old wheel was better than you thought it was.

I say that because I used a pair of wheels with Alex rims and unbranded hubs for many years and they always seemed to run well for me. They came with a new bike in 2005, but last summer after a broken spoke episode I found a crack in the rear rim, presumably caused by the shock of the breakage. Unsurprisingly the rims were pretty worn, so I've no complaints about their durability.

Nothing I've yet tried in their place has felt as satisfactory, so I'm concluding that they were a pretty effective pair of wheels.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How much clearance is there between your front tyre and the fork?

I had a similar problem once on one bike after putting a bigger tyre on. There was hardly any clearance but the wheel span easily with the bike on the stand. Once my weight was on the bike though I could hear (and feel) the tyre rubbing, so I assume that the fork bent enough to reduce the clearance to zero.

The OP says that the wheel spins freely when the bike is upside down yet is harder to ride. I would have thought that tight cones and bearings would show up in whatever position the bike was . The fact that the tyre and brakes aren't rubbing would point to something else .Is the drive train at fault ?
With the chain removed does the chain ring spin freely ? Freewheel dragging or chain stiff ? If all of these are fine then it would point to the loading on the axle bearings when being ridden as at fault .

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
How much clearance is there between your front tyre and the fork?

I had a similar problem once on one bike after putting a bigger tyre on. There was hardly any clearance but the wheel span easily with the bike on the stand. Once my weight was on the bike though I could hear (and feel) the tyre rubbing, so I assume that the fork bent enough to reduce the clearance to zero.
Plenty of clearance there

Top Bottom