New wheel fitted by LBS - now it feels like I'm riding through treacle.

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Welsh wheels, 23 Feb 2018.

Tags:
  1. Drago

Drago Guru

Perhaps its psychosomatic? With new wheels your brain may have been expecting Warp 9 performance, and the feeling is just relative to expectation rather than anything actually wrong?

2. Will Spin

Will Spin Senior Member

I think it's due to a cheap wheel, you need to spend at least £400.

3. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

I assume the quick release is not really, really, really tight?

Welsh wheels and cyberknight like this.
  4. TissoT

TissoT Über Member

If you have access too ... Try riding a different bike to eliminate and see if it makes a difference to your breathing/sweating Etc

5. SkipdiverJohn

SkipdiverJohn Senior Member

This is just a load of elitist claptrap. You DON'T need to spend £400+ on a bicycle wheel in order for it to turn freely! The amount of BS spoken about the supposed extra performance of costly bits vs cheaper bits in cycling circles is beyond belief. The only difference between a cheap and expensive hub is the expensive one will probably have a better surface finish and the bearings may be of a higher grade regards their sizing tolerances. The difference in frictional drag is going to be tiny, and irrelevant to anyone except a top class competitive cyclist. I've spent over 2 hours today riding around on a 25 year old cheap & heavy Apollo rigid MTB, fitted with 2" wide knobbly tyres, wearing size 11 safety work boots and a hi-vis overcoat. And I weigh over 14 stone. The whole bike would have not cost much more than £100 new, let alone one wheel! I'm not drenched in sweat and the bike rolled fine considering the type of tyres.

Alan O, buzzy-beans and biggs682 like this.
  6. Drago

Drago Guru

I think Will Spin was typing with his tongue firmly in his cheek.

Duffy, PBB, palinurus and 9 others like this.
  7. screenman

screenman Legendary Member

I think you may have missed the humour in the post.

Duffy, Will Spin, CrinklyLion and 5 others like this.
  8. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

Of course it was. What he really meant was £800, anything less is BSO territory.

si_c, Bazzer, CrinklyLion and 6 others like this.
  9. Aravis

Aravis White-Haired Trundler

Maybe your old wheel was better than you thought it was.

I say that because I used a pair of wheels with Alex rims and unbranded hubs for many years and they always seemed to run well for me. They came with a new bike in 2005, but last summer after a broken spoke episode I found a crack in the rear rim, presumably caused by the shock of the breakage. Unsurprisingly the rims were pretty worn, so I've no complaints about their durability.

Nothing I've yet tried in their place has felt as satisfactory, so I'm concluding that they were a pretty effective pair of wheels.

Welsh wheels, Drago and Illaveago like this.
  10. ColinJ

ColinJ Hillfinder General

How much clearance is there between your front tyre and the fork?

I had a similar problem once on one bike after putting a bigger tyre on. There was hardly any clearance but the wheel span easily with the bike on the stand. Once my weight was on the bike though I could hear (and feel) the tyre rubbing, so I assume that the fork bent enough to reduce the clearance to zero.

Ajax Bay and Welsh wheels like this.
  11. cyberknight

cyberknight Legendary Member

That was my initial thought too .

12. Illaveago

Illaveago Veteran

The OP says that the wheel spins freely when the bike is upside down yet is harder to ride. I would have thought that tight cones and bearings would show up in whatever position the bike was . The fact that the tyre and brakes aren't rubbing would point to something else .Is the drive train at fault ?
    With the chain removed does the chain ring spin freely ? Freewheel dragging or chain stiff ? If all of these are fine then it would point to the loading on the axle bearings when being ridden as at fault .

Banjo and Welsh wheels like this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels Lycra king

That's one thing I haven't checked yet

14. OP
    OP
    Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels Lycra king

Plenty of clearance there

15. OP
    OP
    Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels Lycra king

Aye, but apparently my new wheel was more expensive than my old one, and that was fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice