new wheels for heavier rider

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icequake

Regular
Hi please can you help. I am thinking of upgrading my wheels to lighter 28 spoke for hill climbing. Present wheels ultegra hubs 32 spoke mavic cpx pro rim. I am 19stone could I get away with 28 spoke wheel? if so what components would you recommend. Not sure to go with dura ace hub (cheaper) or dt swiss 240s (lower maintenance)?. ( I know losing weight helps still in the process already lost 10 stone.)

thank you

Dont.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hi please can you help. I am thinking of upgrading my wheels to lighter 28 spoke for hill climbing. Present wheels ultegra hubs 32 spoke mavic cpx pro rim. I am 19stone could I get away with 28 spoke wheel? if so what components would you recommend. Not sure to go with dura ace hub (cheaper) or dt swiss 240s (lower maintenance)?. ( I know losing weight helps still in the process already lost 10 stone.)

thank you

Hi. Well done for losing so much weight up to now. Sorry i can't help you regarding your wheels. I have no doubt that someone will be along soon who can and will give you an answer that doesn't entail just "yes" or "no", but actually gives you proper advice.

Soltydog

Legendary Member

thank you

Not sure you actually need fewer spokes for climbing. Many of my best times up the few climbs round here are on a set of handbuilts 36R & 32F. I haven't been 19 stone for a while but I'm still a heavier than average rider & personally would opt for reliability over a few grammes. Nothing worse than a spoke breaking 40 miles from home :sad:

OP
OP
icequake

icequake

Regular
thank you

I would concentrate on losing more weight at the moment, rather than changing your wheels. This would give you far greater gains in your climbing performance.

If you stand out of the saddle when climbing this will cause your wheels to flex and I would think the more spokes you have, the better.

Once you get nearer your 'fighting weigh't then a change of wheels may be more noticeable.

Keep at it though, I was up at your weight a couple of years ago and am now just under 14 stone. With the same wheels I'm now climbing much faster than before.

Graham

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I've been your weight with a 28 spoke rear wheel and it wasn't good, about 5 spoke replacements, cracks started to form around nipple holes and an unseen pothole wrecked the wheel. I switched to handbuilt 36h from Spa cycles and never gone out of true, broken a spoke or damaged the rim. A lot lighter now and still on the way down but I don't think I'd ever go sub 32h as my fighting weight will be about 14 stone.

You've done tremendously to drop 10 stone and deserve a reward in the shiny bling sense, a good pair of handbuilts could last you years, depending on miles done and rim or disc brake.

OP
OP
icequake

icequake

Regular
thank you. I think I will wait. just for interest what is a ideal weight before looking at lighter wheels?

Top Bottom