new wheels for heavier rider

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
thank you. I think I will wait. just for interest what is a ideal weight before looking at lighter wheels?

Well I was about 17 stone when I switched to the handbuilts so that had been too much for the 28h factory wheel that had been on the rear. It also depends on usage a bit, if you only do smoothish roads, careful of potholes and don't hammer out of saddle then you cam get away with being heavier. I don't so I'd personally avoid low spoke lightweight until sub 15 stone.

I'm 16 and a half stone right now and my handbuilts go road and offroad no problem at all, it is a general purpose 29er MTB not a road bike.

MacB

In case it happens again, just put me on ignore.

Not in my repertoire and I would also miss out on all the good stuff you post.

MacB

Guys the minimal savings and weight off yourself before the bike are all true but there are other ways of looking at this. You have someone posting for advice that has also managed the tremendous achievement of dropping 10 stone. I have been down this route and know how much better I felt and how my desire for a bit of rewarding bling grew. I also posted a lot of, what would to me now, be basic questions because I really didn't know. Most importantly I distinctly remember those that took the time to post answers and explain them fully, it was the main reason I was attracted to stay on this site.

I still made purchasing errors but, with the euphoria of weight loss success and cycling fever, it could have been much worse without all that help.

S-Express

You have someone posting for advice that has also managed the tremendous achievement of dropping 10 stone. I have been down this route and know how much better I felt and how my desire for a bit of rewarding bling grew.

That's fine - but that's not what he asked.

Hi please can you help. I am thinking of upgrading my wheels to lighter 28 spoke for hill climbing.

Most importantly I distinctly remember those that took the time to post answers and explain them fully, it was the main reason I was attracted to stay on this site.
Those people are still are still around and their answers, with mathematical proof, are still here for the record. Anyone can do a bit of research before posing a question for which the answer requires significant effort.
Admittedly there is no FAQ on this site but still, etiquette has it that one does a bit of research before asking deep questions.
I'll give you an example. Imagine I join a physics forum today and my first question is "how does fission work?"

MacB

Those people are still are still around and their answers, with mathematical proof, are still here for the record. Anyone can do a bit of research before posing a question for which the answer requires significant effort.
Admittedly there is no FAQ on this site but still, etiquette has it that one does a bit of research before asking deep questions.
I'll give you an example. Imagine I join a physics forum today and my first question is "how does fission work?"

Which is fine and is your opinion rather than a forum rule and my opinion was that if you don't feel like giving a full explanatory answer then don't post at all. I like an internet row and point scoring as much as the next person, or more, which is why I frequent the politics bit. You told me I could ignore you, a very valid point and all I've said is that you could ignore others if you want as well. I thought I even put it quite nicely by stroking your ego at the same time but I'll leave it there. Feel free to have the last word.

Top Bottom