new wheels for heavier rider

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S-Express

You have every right to be offended by someone's posts, MacB. But unfortunately, that's all it is - a right to be offended. Nobody else needs to do anything as a result of that.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
You have every right to be offended by someone's posts, MacB. But unfortunately, that's all it is - a right to be offended. Nobody else needs to do anything as a result of that.

Cool and that was why it was a suggestion and not a demand or an assertion to some unwritten rule. I could have just posted Nobber and left it at that but I was trying to be nice.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I assume the OP's wheels are handbuilts anyway. The CXP Pro rim is a quality rim, coupled to Ultegra Hubs.

I'd stick with the wheels you have, or if you fancy an upgrade, stick with 32 spokes for durability.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Hi please can you help. I am thinking of upgrading my wheels to lighter 28 spoke for hill climbing. Present wheels ultegra hubs 32 spoke mavic cpx pro rim. I am 19stone could I get away with 28 spoke wheel? if so what components would you recommend. Not sure to go with dura ace hub (cheaper) or dt swiss 240s (lower maintenance)?. ( I know losing weight helps still in the process already lost 10 stone.)

thank you
Amazing result losing ten stone.
do y ou break any spokes on your present wheels ever? If not maybe that's an indication you could get away with 28 spoke wheels.

There are so many variables its hard to give a definite answer. If breaking a spoke or two could leave you stranded alone miles from anywhere then maybe stick with 32 .If that's not a big issue for you eg if you have someone who can drive out and rescue you if needed then maybe give it a go.

On a 32 spoke wheel the wheel is more likely to still be useable after one spoke goes ,just to let you limp home. I am a mere 14 stone and ride on 32 spoke wheels as I do long distances out in the country where a pringled wheel could be a major inconvenience.

Nibor

Bewildered
I am 22 stone and have some handbuilt wheels with 28 spokes in the front ( I bought them off someone that had built them so no choice on spoke count) The rims are H Plus Son Archetype which are nice and light and seriously durable built on Novatech hubs (they are disc) built with DT Swiss spokes.they get ridden on and off road and never miss a beat.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Hi please can you help. I am thinking of upgrading my wheels to lighter 28 spoke for hill climbing. Present wheels ultegra hubs 32 spoke mavic cpx pro rim. I am 19stone could I get away with 28 spoke wheel? if so what components would you recommend. Not sure to go with dura ace hub (cheaper) or dt swiss 240s (lower maintenance)?. ( I know losing weight helps still in the process already lost 10 stone.)

thank you

Congratulations on your weight loss, that's very hard to achieve.

I would not advise you to go to 28 spokes for two reasons :

1.- You will loose reliability and durability.

2.- You will not notice the difference at all.

Just keep loosing weight and you will notice the difference.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Well I was about 17 stone when I switched to the handbuilts so that had been too much for the 28h factory wheel that had been on the rear. It also depends on usage a bit, if you only do smoothish roads, careful of potholes and don't hammer out of saddle then you cam get away with being heavier. I don't so I'd personally avoid low spoke lightweight until sub 15 stone.

I'm 16 and a half stone right now and my handbuilts go road and offroad no problem at all, it is a general purpose 29er MTB not a road bike.
DCR is happy to build lower spokes with deep(er) section rims for the 105kg rider now.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Isn't that just a way of paying more money for extra weight and lower spoke count?
dunno.
dunno about the "more" part of more money either. Compared to what?

I asked him to spec a wheel build for my size, my sort of riding and that's what he came up with. I'm delighted with the wheels.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
dunno.
dunno about the "more" part of more money either. Compared to what?

I asked him to spec a wheel build for my size, my sort of riding and that's what he came up with. I'm delighted with the wheels.

Well, unless we are talking top rims, deep carbon rims are heavier than standard rims. You are only saving about 35g on 4 spokes. So you pay more money for heavier rims so you can have 28 spokes.

In all honesty, I would not advise any heavy rider a deep rim so that they can have wheels with less spokes but that is just me, I have my own rules ;)

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Im 18st and have ridden 28 spoke carbon rims for the last 2yrs...not broken a single spoke and even rode them climbing and descending in the alps.

I see no issue here

Alan O

Über Member
You have every right to be offended by someone's posts ... But unfortunately, that's all it is - a right to be offended. Nobody else needs to do anything as a result of that.
I hope nobody minds if I make a general observation here, based on years of participating in (and moderating) online communities. S-Express is dead right there, and the way I try to approach online discussion (in which, in the absence of the usual body language clues, it can be notoriously hard to judge other people's moods, intentions and other subtleties) is to remember that everyone has a right to be offended, but nobody has a right to not be offended.

Last edited:
Top Bottom