New wheels. Help me choose!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

huwsparky

Über Member
Hi.

Going to bite the bullet and order some new wheels for the summer. Today whilst riding something went wrong on the free-hub on my standard issue Giant Defy (2014) wheels and don't think it represents good value to repair them (at the moment).

I have set my budget at £300 and don't really want to stretch that as I'm going to be looking at a new bike for next summer anyway which Will have some nice wheels!

The 3 in contention that I have seen are

1. Campag Zonda £300

2. Fulcrum Racing 3 £280

3. Shimano Ultega 6800 £250

All prices have been taken off wiggle and i would appreciate any feedback if somebody knows of any of these wheels at a better price or maybe could add other suggestions for the shortlist.

Many thanks

Huw

Cyclist33

Strada, hand built wheels, think you can get velocity a23 rims with Sapim spokes and novatec hubs built for 300 pound.

Cyclist33

Also what's the paint job on your giant? For my tastes the zonda and fulcrum r3 have too much red on to work with a bike that's blue... The ultegras are nicely understated and just as good I think.

Citius

None are appreciably better than the other - just go for the pair that you like the look of, or the cheapest, or the most expensive, or the one in the middle. They will all do the job. There aren't really any stand-out wheels at that price point.

My choice would have been Planet X AL30s, which are excellent wheels and cheaper than all the above. Unfortunately only available in white at the moment.

OP
OP
huwsparky

huwsparky

Über Member
Wow, thanks all for the speedy replies. Appreciated as I'd like to order these tonight.

Also what's the paint job on your giant? For my tastes the zonda and fulcrum r3 have too much red on to work with a bike that's blue... The ultegras are nicely understated and just as good I think.

my bike is the composite 1 so it's colours are mostly white with black with the bar tape being red.

I'd kind of guessed that at this price point they'd be much of a muchness between the rims.

OP
OP
huwsparky

huwsparky

Über Member
None are appreciably better than the other - just go for the pair that you like the look of, or the cheapest, or the most expensive, or the one in the middle. They will all do the job. There aren't really any stand-out wheels at that price point.

My choice would have been Planet X AL30s, which are excellent wheels and cheaper than all the above. Unfortunately only available in white at the moment.

Thanks for your suggestion for the Planet X wheels. Never thought of them to be honest. I'll have a look at them for sure.

OP
OP
huwsparky

huwsparky

Über Member
To be honest I think I prefer the Zonda's over the F3's. Only reason being the white hubs on the F3's.

I've checked out all the prices and will now look for any discount vouchers and post back which are favourites!

Top Bottom