New wheels: Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLS WTS Clincher Wheelset 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon_m

Guru
Hi there, hope someone can help. I'm looking at getting some new wheels, "Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLS WTS Clincher Wheelset 2014". There are a few things I want to check before I possibly get them. I read somewhere that deep rims use different break pads, (which I find hard to believe). Also read certain tyres are recommended, is that just sales pitch, I like and trust my continental 4000s. I guess I will also need a new gearing casset too? or will that come with the wheels? As you can see I don't know much lol Thanks

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Id dont think a new casset will come with the wheel as standard. To be honest I was looking at them wheels, but after looking through lots and lots of reviews its worth spending more and getting the Dura Ace 9000 ones.

Ow and unless im corrected im sure your brakes will be fine, no need to upgrade.

adscrim

Veteran
It's not the rims but the braking surface that require different brake pads. If it's a carbon braking surface, you would likely need carbon specific pads.

Mavic are selling specific tyres for their rims - they are not a requirement. Tyre widths can affect the flow of air around deep section rims - ie too wide a tyre may detract from the additional aero benefit.

You'll need to buy a separate cassette or just use your current one.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Id dont think a new casset will come with the wheel as standard. To be honest I was looking at them wheels, but after looking through lots and lots of reviews its worth spending more and getting the Dura Ace 9000 ones.

Ow and unless im corrected im sure your brakes will be fine, no need to upgrade.

I may just take that back,

Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLS WTS Clincher: 1695g £764.99
Shimano Dura-Ace C50 Clincher Wheelset 9000: 1672g £1119.99

They seem simlar at £355 difference for 23g weight difference you maybe onto something. Let us know what you do because in 2 month when I pay off my bike, new wheels on finace is the next move.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
Hi there, thanks for all the responses. I can't see on any of the descriptions online what the breaking rims are made from, either carbon or not. Does it make any different? I guess it does.
I would be swapping wheels from day use to work to the deep for weekend rides and races etc. So I would need another casset, on the options for the wheel is gives either Shimano or Campagnolo. why?! breaks+gearing are Shimano
Tyre: clincher is the description.
I am so tempted, not sure I can get it past the all knowing, all seeing though.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
The braking rim is Alu, u can tell off the pic. Your will need the shimano if your freehub is, otherwise it will not fit.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
If the wheels are new won't they come with Mavic tyres fitted? Thought that was their policy now.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
yes very cheap, a good £50 cheaper, they are the 2014 models where as Evans Cycles only has the 2013 models at a high price. I hope they are ok. Only problem is that I am going to have to hide them and only put them on when the other half isn't about lol Have a lot of races/rides booked for this year, even off to France for one plus holidays there and Lanzergrotty. Should be good.

Is anyone good with Cassets too? Need one but not sure what to go for I think my one at the moment is 12x27. (Shimano hyperglide cs6600). Could do with easier peddling up hill Wiggle seem to be very cheap at mo'.

WestBrook said
"These wheels are a pair and include tyres but ant tyre will be ok with
them. The rims are standard alloy one`s not carbon so no different
pads are needed. As for cassette`s, it depends on if you are running
10 or 11 speed but either will work with these wheels"

Cyclist33

yes very cheap, a good £50 cheaper, they are the 2014 models where as Evans Cycles only has the 2013 models at a high price. I hope they are ok. Only problem is that I am going to have to hide them and only put them on when the other half isn't about lol Have a lot of races/rides booked for this year, even off to France for one plus holidays there and Lanzergrotty. Should be good.

Is anyone good with Cassets too? Need one but not sure what to go for I think my one at the moment is 12x27. (Shimano hyperglide cs6600). Could do with easier peddling up hill Wiggle seem to be very cheap at mo'.

WestBrook said
"These wheels are a pair and include tyres but ant tyre will be ok with
them. The rims are standard alloy one`s not carbon so no different
pads are needed. As for cassette`s, it depends on if you are running
10 or 11 speed but either will work with these wheels"

I think that if you don't find a £750 wheelset makes it easier to get up hills, you're spending your money foolishly. 12x27 ought to be ok.

Cs6600 seems to be a 10 speed cassette. If so, you will need (apparently) a 1.85mm and a 1.0mm spacer in combination, slid onto one or other end of the hub that the cassette slides onto. With any luck Mavic will supply the right spacer(s) with the wheels. For that sort of cash I should jolly well think so!

Top Bottom