New wheels: Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLS WTS Clincher Wheelset 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
I think that if you don't find a £750 wheelset makes it easier to get up hills, you're spending your money foolishly. 12x27 ought to be ok.

Cs6600 seems to be a 10 speed cassette. If so, you will need (apparently) a 1.85mm and a 1.0mm spacer in combination, slid onto one or other end of the hub that the cassette slides onto. With any luck Mavic will supply the right spacer(s) with the wheels. For that sort of cash I should jolly well think so!

What do you mean?

Cyclist33

What do you mean?

The rider has a stock pair of wheels on his (presumably) road bike, and a 12-27 cassette.

On the presumption that it's a compact chainset, then 34/27 gear ratio should be ok for most rides unless there's serious hills.

My understanding of having a much stiffer, lighter wheelset is that it makes going uphill easier or at any rate requires less energy for the same climb.

So if he's spending £750 I would expect significantly easier climbing for that sort of money.

Hence why I don't think he really needs to change cassette.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
The rider has a stock pair of wheels on his (presumably) road bike, and a 12-27 cassette.

On the presumption that it's a compact chainset, then 34/27 gear ratio should be ok for most rides unless there's serious hills.

My understanding of having a much stiffer, lighter wheelset is that it makes going uphill easier or at any rate requires less energy for the same climb.

So if he's spending £750 I would expect significantly easier climbing for that sort of money.

Hence why I don't think he really needs to change cassette.
Cheers!

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
yep Mavic supply the Shimano set up, so that is all fine. Not sure if the wheels will help with the hills, normal hills are fine, I'm talking about your tougher sharp climbs. Ok So just get the same casset as I have currently, as I will be swapping wheels between riding to work and weekend rides/races etc.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
oups!
so then, do I have to have the same one as before the shimano 6600 or can i go for a 6700? am I right in thinking that it just has to be a 10speed as the current one is? on a learning curve here, usually just throw the bike at a guy in a bike shop.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
because like i said before, i use the current wheels for commuting to work and getting around, it would mean keep swapping them over.

uclown2002

Guru
Right but old chain and new cassette might cause issues.
However, I'm sure there must be other folk who swap their wheels round like you intend!

Seems like you need an n+1.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Couple of new cassettes and a new chain? 105 cassettes are quite reasonable price, or even Tiagra.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
Wheels came last week, chain and cassssettttee came today. All look amazing, wish it would stop raining so I can get out on it.

Top Bottom