New wheels question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
cabbieman

cabbieman

Yes tincaman. This is my bike.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/fuji-sportif-1-1-d-road-bike-2015/rp-prod149504

What bought this on was my friend and I are about the same weight but different bikes and his bike just freewheels smoother than mine. I think i will just change the tyres to begin with. That seems the logical thing to do.
I don't want to get to obsessed with components. I realise it's more important to just ride. I'm 57. I don't need to race, just need to ride and enjoy

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I agree with everyone else. Change the tyres before you consider the wheels.

@vickster had a pair of 28c Vittoria Rubino Pro's up for sale for a very reasonable price, but sadly for you I got there first ^_^

They're an excellent mid-range tyre, though, with pretty low rolling resistance and robust p*nct*r* proofing, so excellent for everyday use. Go seek them out.

OP
OP
cabbieman

cabbieman

I agree with everyone else. Change the tyres before you consider the wheels.

@vickster had a pair of 28c Vittoria Rubino Pro's up for sale for a very reasonable price, but sadly for you I got there first ^_^

They're an excellent mid-range tyre, though, with pretty low rolling resistance and robust p*nct*r* proofing, so excellent for everyday use. Go seek them out.

Haha. Thankyou very much.
Right. Forget wheels, tyre homework here we come.

OP
OP
cabbieman

cabbieman

Just a quickie. I'm running 28s at the moment. Is it best to stick with 28s or can I go down to 25s? Is there any advantage/disadvantage to do that.

vickster

Legendary Member
Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Perhaps just have a closer look at the wheels first. Take them off and spin them holding the axles. They should spin quietly and smoothly, if not take them to your LBS and see what they recommend. Are the discs true? Also spin the wheels on the bike to feel if the pads are binding, if they are adjust them, it's very simple and there some videos on YouTube to help.
Your rims wil take 25c tyres but will make very little difference, the pressures will however. If you can rule out everything else then by all means try a different tyre.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Just a quickie. I'm running 28s at the moment. Is it best to stick with 28s or can I go down to 25s? Is there any advantage/disadvantage to do that.
If you set any store by the site that @Dec66 posted and go for the GP 4000s that vickster suggested according to their test the 28c had a lower rolling resistance than the 23c at the same pressure!

Its generally the thinking now, that unless you race, a 28mm tyre rolls better (less rolling resistance) than a 25/23. The lower pressure you run at also makes it more comfy, and you have slightly more grip. You still need to choose a good tyre though to get these benefits, as tyre compound and carcass rigidity will negate all this if you choose a nasty tyre. You can't go wrong if you can afford the GP4000s

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Its generally the thinking now, that unless you race, a 28mm tyre rolls better (less rolling resistance) than a 25/23. The lower pressure you run at also makes it more comfy, and you have slightly more grip. You still need to choose a good tyre though to get these benefits, as tyre compound and carcass rigidity will negate all this if you choose a nasty tyre. You can't go wrong if you can afford the GP4000s
I have to confess, I don't understand that.

Why would a 28c tyre, of a given brand, offer less rolling resistance than a 23c version of the same tyre at the same pressure? I would have thought the narrow tyre would produce less resistance due to it having less surface area in contact with the road, and therefore less friction?

No doubt a clever person will be along in a second with all kinds of complex mathematical formulae to explain this ^_^

Top Bottom