New wheels question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cabbieman

Hi. I'm thinking of upgrading my wheels which have disc brakes on. My question is, are all wheels compatible with disc brakes? As you can tell, I'm a newbie and not sure what or which goes where. Is there a dummies guide to wheels?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
You need to buy disc compatible wheels ,it really depends on what bike and wheels you have as there is a few standards regarding axle width , wheel clamping ( quick release, thru axle etc )

Hi. I'm thinking of upgrading my wheels which have disc brakes on. My question is, are all wheels compatible with disc brakes? As you can tell, I'm a newbie and not sure what or which goes where. Is there a dummies guide to wheels?
Tell us what bike you have, and some pics of the wheels, some closeups of the hubs?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
To be frank, at your level of understanding and without knowing what you are trying to achieve through the 'upgrade' I would suggest that as long as your current wheels are working you should stick with them. It is doubtful you will notice much, if any, difference in feel. I certainly don't, but I judge my wheels by reliability and longevity. On the other hand if you have money to waste and want some bling then go for it.....

cyberknight

To be frank, at your level of understanding and without knowing what you are trying to achieve through the 'upgrade' I would suggest that as long as your current wheels are working you should stick with them. It is doubtful you will notice much, if any, difference in feel. I certainly don't, but I judge my wheels by reliability and longevity. On the other hand if you have money to waste and want some bling then go for it.....
Indeed unless your wheels are made of cheese or weigh a ton each i doubt you will notice much difference, atm i am riding a drop bar hacked mtb with slicks to work, must weigh getting on for 18 kg+ with panniers and compared to my old road bike commuter over my 10 mile commute i am about 2 mins slower max , its only hills i find the extra weight slows me down .
Of course nice wheels are good if you can afford them go for it :smile:

OP
OP
cabbieman

cabbieman

I was led to believe if I'm going to upgrade anything on a bike then the wheels were one of the best places to start. My cycle buddy always leaves me on a coast or downhill as his wheels just seem to spin better. I am running on 28s opposed to his 25s. Would this make much of a difference.
My wheeler is a Vera Corsa DPD22,double wall, 28/32 formula disc hubs. I'm not at home at the moment so can't take any pictures

cyberknight

I was led to believe if I'm going to upgrade anything on a bike then the wheels were one of the best places to start. My cycle buddy always leaves me on a coast or downhill as his wheels just seem to spin better. I am running on 28s opposed to his 25s. Would this make much of a difference.
My wheeler is a Vera Corsa DPD22,double wall, 28/32 formula disc hubs. I'm not at home at the moment so can't take any pictures
To many variables , rider weight , wear /smoothness of hubs , type of tyre etc etc :smile:

S-Express

My cycle buddy always leaves me on a coast or downhill as his wheels just seem to spin better.

He's probably heavier.

To be frank, at your level of understanding and without knowing what you are trying to achieve through the 'upgrade' I would suggest that as long as your current wheels are working you should stick with them.

^^ this.

vickster

Legendary Member
What's your bike? What's his bike etc?

Maybe he's just quicker, them's the breaks

Slightly realign his brakes so they rub and slow him down ;)

(joke)

You could try lighter, narrower, slicker tyres ... if you're using Marathon Plus that would explain everything...sluggish things (unless he gets slowed by lots of punctures and you don't wait for him :evil: )

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut

What tyres do you have? That is where my first 'upgrade' would be focused.

Jody

Stubborn git
Wouldn't light weight wheels make more of a difference climbing and getting up to speed rather than descending

Top Bottom