New wheels question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
What are TUBS ?
Tubs are latex tubes wrapped in silk and hand sewn by virgin maidens into a performance tyre that are then glued onto your wheels for the perfect ride .

boydj

Legendary Member
Tubs are latex tubes wrapped in silk and hand sewn by virgin maidens into a performance tyre that are then glued onto your wheels for the perfect ride .

And in the real world, 'Tubs' are tubular tyres mainly used by racers and the pros. The expensive ones will have latex tubes, wrapped in silk or very fine cotton, with a coating of rubber painted on and glued to the concave rim, which is a lot lighter than a clincher rim. Not ideal for the commute as puncture repairs involve unstitching the tyre, locating and fixing the puncture and re-sowing and re-glueing.

And in the real world, 'Tubs' are tubular tyres mainly used by racers and the pros. The expensive ones will have latex tubes, wrapped in silk or very fine cotton, with a coating of rubber painted on and glued to the concave rim, which is a lot lighter than a clincher rim. Not ideal for the commute as puncture repairs involve unstitching the tyre, locating and fixing the puncture and re-sowing and re-glueing.
Indeed, that was my main resistance to adopting them for that one event they'd be a night mare. I've put a tubeless disc on one bike (I only use it for commuting on dry days) and it hopefully would be less of a nightmare in that occurrence (a inner tube should get me going) and it arguably rolls better still.

spiderman2

Über Member

How often do you have to pump them up?

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
How often do you have to pump them up?
Every time i use them but i do that with most of my bikes . Not a tyre i would choose to commute on or even the type of wheel but for my pleasure bikes they are fantastic . I think the cost puts most people off rather than the " hassle "

Last edited:

Thanks for that. I got royally picked on when I questioned what they were when I 1st started cycling. Gave me a good indication of what a lot of cyclists are like. It was a bit like Royston Vasey!!

Not that this belongs here but I had the debate with someone who was running them and he told me all he takes out on his rides is a bit of sealant in case he gets a flat.

Obviously I am still completely ignorant but he seemed to know what he was on about!

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Or adding sealant as above and what tubeless people a adding to their set up . But i agree i wouldn't run nice wheels on a commuter bike .

johnnyb47

Guru
I've just changed my wheels as my Mavic,s were in dire need of a rebuild. The spokes were starting to snap on rides and were working themselves loose every other ride. As I'm now doing longer ride miles I was starting to get a little worried if they failed a long way from home..As money is tight I bought a cheap set of tru build wheels so I've basically down graded. To be perfect honest I've not noticed any difference between them and the better quality Mavic,s. apart from my new wheels being more reliable. In fact I've managed to beat my personal bests on the cheap wheels several times this year. I can't really comment as to whether I'm getting " fitter" or if it's the wheels..
A professional rider for sure , would be able to tell them apart but for a wanabee like me I can't see any deliseranble difference between them. I bet they won't last as long as the Mavics though but I suppose at the end of the day you get what you pay for.

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Just a quickie. I'm running 28s at the moment. Is it best to stick with 28s or can I go down to 25s? Is there any advantage/disadvantage to do that.

To add to what others have said, rider weight is also a factor - heavier riders will benefit from wider tyres.

So, to answer your question... how heavy are you?

Top Bottom