New wheels - swapping front rotor problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So, it was all going swimmingly, endpugs swapped over from thru axle to QR type, rear cassette and rotor on, but when it came to front rotor, got lockring hand tight but tool wont fit between lockring and endcap, so stuffed. Rotor wobbling about with max hand tighness.
Any suggestions?, is there a different tool i need to properly tighten lockring? :wacko:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Pop the end plug off then tighten

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have an Ice toolz one that is much deeper than normal and also fits on a 1/2" breaker bar which is 30" long so no problems getting stubborn ones undone (although they shouldn't be that tight!).

How tight do you tighten the rotors ? I've got centrelock rotors and just setting up a second pair of wheels. Tried the front wheel and it's rubbing once per rotation ?

Bent or just not tightened enough ? I thought I'd used as much pressure as I would for a cassette lockring anyway.

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
How tight do you tighten the rotors ? I've got centrelock rotors and just setting up a second pair of wheels. Tried the front wheel and it's rubbing once per rotation ?

Bent or just not tightened enough ? I thought I'd used as much pressure as I would for a cassette lockring anyway.
I had exactly the same problem on the front as well, not really cured it tbh but didn't overtighten, so interested to hear from others on a solution.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Little tip.

Get a Sharpie pen and mark the rotor in line with the valve (not on the braking surface area). Remove rotor and turn 90 degrees then try again. Keep trying until you get the minimum rubbing.

Not all rotors are straight, not all hubs will be perfectly machined. You can optimise orientation to get the best alignment but this will not rectify a bad rotor.

Little tip.

Get a Sharpie pen and mark the rotor in line with the valve (not on the braking surface area). Remove rotor and turn 90 degrees then try again. Keep trying until you get the minimum rubbing.

Not all rotors are straight, not all hubs will be perfectly machined. You can optimise orientation to get the best alignment but this will not rectify a bad rotor.
Thanks. Good idea !

C R

Guru
I have seen videos about rotor truing by bending, you can even get tools for that, but I guess it only makes sense if you are sure that everything else is correct.

So I've sorted it. I did try the rotating of the rotor but it didn't seem to make much difference.
I loosened off the caliper mounting and spun the wheel braking gently to centre the caliper as much as possible.
After that there was just one point that was rubbing so by rotating the wheel slowly - I identified it and put some force on with my fingers. That seemed enough to sort it.

All tightened up and bedded in and seems fine now.

Top Bottom