New wheels, tyre won't fit without 'bulges'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeJD

Hi all,

I got two pairs of new wheels this weekend (different models from same manufacturer), have fitted them with Schwalbe Pro One tyres (setup with inner tubes).

For the life in me, despite refitting numerous times and inflating high, I can't seem to fix the bulging issues on any of the 4 wheels.

Here's a video showing the issue:

I've noticed when I check around the rim, there's a faint line on the tyres which doesn't run evenly the whole way around, at times it falls beneath the breaking surface.

Could this rectify itself once the wheels have been ridden? hopefully I've not purchased the wrong size tyres (they're 25x700c).

Thanks

I assume you mean "brake surface" or outer edge of the rim?

Those lines aren't always concentric. If the tyre's outer runs true when you spin the wheel, just use it. If the outer follows the errant feint line in wobbling, try one tyre on a different rim. If the problem persists, take it back. Those faults are highly annoying on expensive tyres.

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

I assume you mean "brake surface" or outer edge of the rim?

Those lines aren't always concentric. If the tyre's outer runs true when you spin the wheel, just use it. If the outer follows the errant feint line in wobbling, try one tyre on a different rim. If the problem persists, take it back. Those faults are highly annoying on expensive tyres.

I think the start of the video shows the bulges in tyre as it spins, it's strange as this happens with each of the 4 tyres I've fitted. I guess I could try fitting another brand of tyre, see if the issue persists.

These tyres where £27 each, so wouldn't expect them to present this issue on all of the 4 purchased.

Thanks

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The bulging seems to be in the middle of the tyre. Shouldn't be like that. On all four is odd, maybe a bad batch. Send it back and ask for a replacement or different make.

I get this a lot, it`s bloody annoying. Best way I find of solving it is to let the tyre down and spray some soapy water between the tyre and the rim (I use a few squirts of Muc-off), then pump up again - you should hear it pop out to where it should be. If that doesn`t work, then I don`t know:wacko:

I think the start of the video shows the bulges in tyre as it spins, it's strange as this happens with each of the 4 tyres I've fitted. I guess I could try fitting another brand of tyre, see if the issue persists.

These tyres where £27 each, so wouldn't expect them to present this issue on all of the 4 purchased.

Thanks
I'm sorry, I somehow didn't see the video. Perhaps I just scrolled too quickly. Your video shows the problem nicely.
Faulty tyres.

You’ve got the tyres ‘tucking under’. If you inflate the tyres to only about 40 psi or so, then work your thumbs around the circumference of the interface between the tyre and rim, and push slightly upwards, you should see / feel the tyre pop up into its correct position. Also, when you first put the new tube in, put it in, ever so slightly inflated ( not enough to risk a pinch flat, but not completely deflated). When you’ve got the tyre back on, and before you fully inflate the tube, gently push the tube up, by the valve, a couple of times, to ensure it’s fully in place, then inflate to about 40-50 psi, work the tyre into its proper position ( as I mentioned ) then put it up to full pressure.

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

You’ve got the tyres ‘tucking under’. If you inflate the tyres to only about 40 psi or so, then work your thumbs around the circumference of the interface between the tyre and rim, and push slightly upwards, you should see / feel the tyre pop up into its correct position. Also, when you first put the new tube in, put it in, ever so slightly inflated ( not enough to risk a pinch flat, but not completely deflated). When you’ve got the tyre back on, and before you fully inflate the tube, gently push the tube up, by the valve, a couple of times, to ensure it’s fully in place, then inflate to about 40-50 psi, work the tyre into its proper position ( as I mentioned ) then put it up to full pressure.
It isn`t. They just haven`t seated evenly on the rim

Would you say them being difficult to seat is in any way indicative of the quality of the wheels, or should it be put down to the model of tyre?

Just I've never had this issue when fitting tyres to different rims in the past, albeit different models of tyre.

Thanks

It isn`t. They just haven`t seated evenly on the rim
I accept that you may be right and they may eventually seat with soapy water, but I've had a few such tyres and they never seat properly, even with soapy water and over inflation. Your experience differs.

The most recent such tyre I've had is still on the bike and still runs out-of-true. On that tyre I marked the low point and rotated the tyre on the rim and each time the marked area remained the lowest point. My logic was that if the marked area consistently produced the lowest point, then the tyre isn't concentric.

I've never had four tyres do this as the OP experiences, so I'm a bit puzzled and think that a batch problem is the most likely scenario.

May I suggest to the OP @MikeJD to try that: Mark the area and re-install the tyre in a different position. Also install it with soapy water. Let's see what's going on.

robgul

Legendary Member
I had the same issue with those tyres fitted on Fulcrum wheels - they were exchanged as being "probably faulty" - I had bought them "trade" from Oxford Products. Replacements are fine - I had a similar situation with some Durano 20" tyres on a folder, and again the supplier exchanged them for another pair.

Rob

Would you say them being difficult to seat is in any way indicative of the quality of the wheels, or should it be put down to the model of tyre?

Just I've never had this issue when fitting tyres to different rims in the past, albeit different models of tyre.

Thanks
Nope, that’s fairly typical of most clincher tyres I’ve ever used. If you’re confident that the tube isn’t pinched, blasting the first bit of pressure in ( either with a CO2 inflator, or track pump) will often ping the tyre into position with one hit, but if there is any pinch at all, you’ll just get a loud bang as the tube explodes:laugh:.

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

Nope, that’s fairly typical of most clincher tyres I’ve ever used. If you’re confident that the tube isn’t pinched, blasting the first bit of pressure in ( either with a CO2 inflator, or track pump) will often ping the tyre into position with one hit, but if there is any pinch at all, you’ll just get a loud bang as the tube explodes:laugh:.

That's reassuring then.

Before I've began to inflate, I've checked each side of each tyre the whole way around for any pinching.

I'll see how I get on with them tonight and report back!

Thanks

Top Bottom